Fireplaces and StovesHome Improvement

Turning a Fireplace Into a Cabinet or Storage Area

I have a fireplace and even though we don't use it (for health reasons) I would still like to use the 'space'. Of course, this 'idea' comes from watching a 'movie' where the fireplace appeared to be some sort of cabinet or storage area. It looked like a project for me! But is this a product that exists out there in the real world?

Any suggestions or ideas for me?

Thank you,
ba rok

I had a fireplace in my old house that was hooked up to Gas. With the cost of gas these days we turned off all the piping, burned all the gas out of the existing pipes, removed them all and put a TV in it's place.

We ran the wiring of the TV through the base of it into the basement (including VCR cables) and on holidays we'd watch a Video of fire burning (I found the video YEARS ago in the discount bin at a Walden Books).

It looked a bit cheesey, but hey...at least I was using it for something...

Sorry, I no longer have any pics of it :(
Q

By jojo (Guest Post)

I have also seen on t.v. home reno shows, the fireplace used to house t.v. equipment.

On another t.v. show I saw one with candles placed in it and they looked beautiful when lit, scented candles would be wonderful.
They also look good with a nice plant arrangement set into them.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Am I misunderstanding your question? Are you trying to convert an existing fireplace into a built-in cabinet? Or are you trying to make a cabinet LOOK
like a fireplace?

I have a see-through fireplace with one side into the LR the other into the Den, and
I have a built in space like for a large cabinet on both sides of the fireplace, but all in one room, so that the other side is all brick wall around the fireplace opening.

My friend has a faux-fireplace in her bedroom that burns Sterno canned heat, she says. This comes in all sorts of styles and shapes, I believe, LOOKING
like a fireplace but requiring no venting she says.

I finally decided to add a small wooden desk and
glass shelves over it on one side of the fireplace

storage area. I plan to place our house bunny's cage on the other side.

Remember that ANY" fireplace that burns wood/gas
needs venting to the outside. If trying to hide an
existing fireplace, you can open any fireplace screens and add plants/plant light; large various sized candles as already mentioned (add short free-standing mirrored mini-screen behind the candles;
decorative andirons or painted cover.

If it's cabinets you'd prefer covering the fireplace, you must have them installed.