Repair AdviceCars

Rust in Ford Taurus Coolant System

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. I keep getting rust in the coolant. I have had to replace 3 soft plugs and 2 recovery tanks. I have flushed the system 6 times. Any suggestions on why this continues? I was told not to worry about the rust, but it keeps plugging up my heater core and causing things to blow.

By Ron from Tucson, AZ

Drain the water, use a garden how and remove the top radiator hose and thermostat, remove the bottom hose. Put the garden hose in the thermostat hole and let it run, the rust will start to come out the bottom, when it runs clean, re fill it with 50/50 coolant and water mix, replace the thermostat, be sure to flush the radiator and wash out the coolant jar as well. Don't forget to remove the heater hoses and do the same thing. Water causes rust and overheating. Coolant stops overheating and rust. You will be OK after that.