Making Potato Beads

Category Jewelry
You can make some unique jewelry items for yourself, to give as gifts, or sell at craft fairs using potatoes. This is a guide about making potato beads.

How do you make a potato necklace?

By Nicky from Jackson, MO

Answers

See this website: http://www.fami … tato_beads.shtml
I have made many of these, they can be painted with acrylic craft paint and sealed with Mod Podge. The potatoes take about a week to dry. Have fun!

Peel a potato, cut it into cubes, poke a toothpick through the cubes and let dry for about a week. Paint them and then seal with an acrylic spray.
then string them.

I dry mine in the oven at 250 for about 12 hours strung them on cording using a needle for the hole when very dry paint them with craft paint

How long will this type of jewelry last, will our pets enjoy eating or pic away at them?

By Sandi

Answers

Well, I can't give you an extra length of time as to how long it will last, but it will last a good while, I'd say a couple of years at least. I don't really imagine your pets will try to eat it, it becomes as hard as a rock and sometimes blackens and I don't think it smells much like potato anymore, either. I don't think they will consider it edible, in other words. But at any rate, pets should be kept away from small objects anyway.

I have a necklace and earring set made with "turquoise" stones from potato, that I purchased in 2002 or 2003. They still look great, and I wear the earrings at least once every two weeks, they are my favorite length and style. Because the paint job was done nicely, they even are worn with my real turquoise sometimes. The paint seals the potato, so they've lasted. I love it!

My dogs have eaten an earring and part of a necklace...while it never hurt them, they denied any knowledge, and encouraged me to be more careful about leaving things about!!

My necklace was at least 10 years old before one of my dogs found it on the floor, and promptly ate several pieces. No sign of ill health for her, but I was mightily disappointed!

Can someone please tell me how to make them? I need a hobby.

By justme

Answers

Here is the answer to your question :
http://uniqart. … ink-to-this.html

How do I make potato jewelry?

By Linda

Answers

Peel the potatoes and cut them in the (relative) shapes you want, typically squares or rectangles. (They dry how ever "they" want, it is not completely controllable). Put toothpicks, wire or something inside them to keep a hole in them. Let them dry about a week.

You can speed up the process a bit by microwaving them a couple of minutes (don't microwave wired ones, of course). Then paint (or not, they tend to become very black), varnish in some manner, string. Mine developed some mold, so I am thinking next time of dipping them in apple cider vinegar (which kills germs and mold) first. Other posts I have read on the subject haven't mentioned mold, maybe it wasn't an issue for them.

How long do you let your potato beads dry before painting them?

By Naydine L

Answers

It takes about a week for the beads to dry. You can do it longer if you wish. You will know anyway, they will be hard as a rock and mostly black.

I would like to know how to make jewelry out of potatoes?

By Richelle from Worcester, NY

Answers

I have made potato necklaces. I am not so sure but what I didn't post it here but maybe not. I made mine of different metallic pieces with one big wooden bead in the center.

I am making a potato necklace. I was wondering, when I dry them out what do I seal the potato with to keep it from rotting? Thanks.

By Mary from OK

Answers:

Potato Bead Necklace

I have made these several times. Once the potatoes have completely dried paint them with acrylic paints and seal with Mod Podge. They will last for years. Once they have dried for a week or more they should never rot, but you must keep them away from water. (03/31/2010)

By NoRulesArt

This necklace is made (believe it or not) in part with potatoes. The grayer beads that you see are the potatoes, the other beads, I bought mostly in a craft store. You just take a potato and cut it up into 1/2 inch pieces. Thread them on the round toothpicks and let dry.

Every day, turn them to keep them from sticking to the toothpick. If you happen to forget, you can wet them and get them off that way and then let re-dry. Then when they are dry, take them off the toothpick and thread them on elastic thread. I just made a knot on mine, I did not even use a clasp, although you could. Since the string is elastic, it will go over your head. You may also paint them and add other beads. Fun thing to do.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Answers:

Potato Bead Necklace

You can paint those beads once they are dry. They are hard as bricks. (11/30/2007)

By Paula

Potato Bead Necklace

I have seen entire necklaces made this way. The potato chunks were painted blue and looked exactly like turquoise stones. I would never have known the difference if the person wearing it hadn't told me it was made from potatoes. (11/30/2007)

By tiffanyau

Potato Bead Necklace

I make all kinds of jewelry from potato beads. When interspersed with other beads, they form lovely items. I sell mine in an art gallery. I just filled a commission for 3 necklaces, 2 bracelets, and 2 brooches for Xmas gifts. Use acrylic paints, prisma glitter, sparkle glaze, etc. Experiment, it is habit forming.
You can use a dehydrator to dry your potato beads overnight. (12/25/2008)

By Anna N.

Potato Bead Necklace

I have also dried baby carrots and painted them. You can string them with a potato bead, spacer, carrot, spacer and so on. I made mine about 15 years ago and they are still good. (01/12/2009)

By Shonda S.

Potato Bead Necklace

To the question about potatoes getting rotten and smelling bad, that's why you dry them. I put mine on a skewer and let them dry, they are hard as "turquoise", maybe I'm the one who told the other post that I was wearing potatoes, not expensive turquoise. I made mine 10 years ago, it's still perfect. Also, you can spray them with lacquer for even more years of wear. (01/28/2009)

By Phyllis

How do I make potato jewelry?

By Jean from Mechanicsburg, PA

Answers:

Making Potato Beads

If you enter "potato bead necklace" in the search window here on Thriftyfun, you will find directions for making potato beads. I also Googled "how to make potato beads" and got a number of sites with directions. (03/23/2010)

By Omanana

Has anyone ever made beads out of cut potatoes? I seem to recall seeing someone cut potatoes, let them dry and then paint them and make jewelry. My 4 yr old is very into jewelry and I thought this would be a fun project, but wanted to be sure to do it right.

Rebecca

Answers:

Making Potato Beads

Yes, I've made potato beads. Basically you just cut the potato into 1/2 cubes, stick them on skewers, and then let them dry for about a week before painting them.

I teach a "BeadMaking Basics" course at Suite101.com with instructions for potato beads as well as other bead projects, if you're interested. (04/18/2005)

By Erin H

Making Potato Beads

Mine shrank a good bit as they dried so you may want to cut them larger than the size you want to end up with. (04/19/2005)

By Ann4

Making Potato Beads

We make potato beads at our senior housing community a couple times a year. The ladies love to wear them and get lots of compliments. Just peel and cut potatoes - put them on skewers to dry (about 1 week) paint them any color and make sure that you seal them with a sealer (gloss works best) then string them with lots of colored beads, spacers etc. and they turn out lovely. Cut the potatoes a little larger than you want the beads to be, as they shrink quite a bit while they are drying. They don't smell, but once they are dry, they look terrible until painted. (09/16/2005)

By sandy c

Making Potato Beads

I was searching the internet and found this question. I made some of these after hearing about them and they came out really cool. I have to say I was really surprised, I never knew you could do this. :) Here's how mine came out http://www.familycorner.com/homegarden/crafts/making_turquoise_potato_beads.shtml

I hope it's ok to post that link?

Editor's Note: We encourage posting of links that answer the questions. (05/26/2006)

By Amanda

Making Potato Beads

Yes, potatoes can be used for a lot of things like potato painting and bead making. Go to http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/18889/2241/3 for great potato bead making instructions. I have included a pic from this site of the finished potato necklace. Hope you have fun! (07/01/2006)

By

RE: Making Potato Beads

Making Potato Beads

I bought a necklace and earring set of potato beads and have worn the earrings with my real turquoise and get lots of compliments on my "really pretty" earrings! The shape and paint color do the trick. Take this project to craft fairs. Keep on crafting! (04/17/2008)

By OrahLee