Making Potato Beads

How do you make a potato necklace?

By Nicky from Jackson, MO

Answers

See this website: www.familycorner.com/.../making_turquoise_potato_beads.shtml
I have made many of these, they can be painted with acrylic craft paint and sealed with Mod Podge. The potatoes take about a week to dry. Have fun!

Peel a potato, cut it into cubes, poke a toothpick through the cubes and let dry for about a week. Paint them and then seal with an acrylic spray.
then string them.

I dry mine in the oven at 250 for about 12 hours strung them on cording using a needle for the hole when very dry paint them with craft paint

Answer this Question

9 More Questions

How long will this type of jewelry last, will our pets enjoy eating or pic away at them?

By Sandi

Answers

Well, I can't give you an extra length of time as to how long it will last, but it will last a good while, I'd say a couple of years at least. I don't really imagine your pets will try to eat it, it becomes as hard as a rock and sometimes blackens and I don't think it smells much like potato anymore, either. I don't think they will consider it edible, in other words. But at any rate, pets should be kept away from small objects anyway.

I have a necklace and earring set made with "turquoise" stones from potato, that I purchased in 2002 or 2003. They still look great, and I wear the earrings at least once every two weeks, they are my favorite length and style. Because the paint job was done nicely, they even are worn with my real turquoise sometimes. The paint seals the potato, so they've lasted. I love it!

My necklace was at least 10 years old before one of my dogs found it on the floor, and promptly ate several pieces. No sign of ill health for her, but I was mightily disappointed!

My wife has been making these for about six years and still has the first one she made. Once painted they should last indefinitely.

Answer this Question

Can someone please tell me how to make them? I need a hobby.

By justme

Answers

Here is the answer to your question :
uniqart.blogspot.fr/.../tell-me-what-you-think-to-this.html

Answer this Question

How do I make potato jewelry?

By Linda

Answers

Peel the potatoes and cut them in the (relative) shapes you want, typically squares or rectangles. (They dry how ever "they" want, it is not completely controllable). Put toothpicks, wire or something inside them to keep a hole in them. Let them dry about a week.

You can speed up the process a bit by microwaving them a couple of minutes (don't microwave wired ones, of course). Then paint (or not, they tend to become very black), varnish in some manner, string. Mine developed some mold, so I am thinking next time of dipping them in apple cider vinegar (which kills germs and mold) first. Other posts I have read on the subject haven't mentioned mold, maybe it wasn't an issue for them.

Answer this Question

How long do you let your potato beads dry before painting them?

By Naydine L

Answers

It takes about a week for the beads to dry. You can do it longer if you wish. You will know anyway, they will be hard as a rock and mostly black.

Answer this Question

I would like to know how to make jewelry out of potatoes?

By Richelle from Worcester, NY

Answers

I have made potato necklaces. I am not so sure but what I didn't post it here but maybe not. I made mine of different metallic pieces with one big wooden bead in the center.

Answer this Question

I am making a potato necklace. I was wondering, when I dry them out what do I seal the potato with to keep it from rotting? Thanks.

This necklace is made (believe it or not) in part with potatoes. The grayer beads that you see are the potatoes, the other beads, I bought mostly in a craft store.

Potato Bead Necklace

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How do I make potato jewelry?

Has anyone ever made beads out of cut potatoes?

Crafts JewelryFebruary 23, 2012
🎉
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf865401.tip.html