CatsPets

Why is My Cat Itching?

My cat had ear mites which cleared up with ear drops from the vet. Then he started itching on other parts of his body, the vet gave him an anti- inflammatory injection. But after a few days the itching started again and then dry lumps appeared around his neck and sores around his face and above eyes.

Another visit to the vet and he was given a course of antibiotic gel and tabs. The sores are starting to heal. But he still has crusty lumps around his neck and shoulders. After a week he was still itching and not a happy cat. So, he was given another anti-inflammatory injection, after a few days the itching started up again.

Does any one have any suggestions? I was thinking, did this all start from the ear mites although my vet said it is not possible.

By Maureen from Liphook Hants

Ear mites can only live in a warm moist place so they don't spread to other parts of the body. You vet should have a diagnisis for you as to the cause of the itching. I know you've already sunk quite a bit into this problem with this vet but it may be time to seek a second opinion.

No more steroid shots. Problem only comes back worse. See a holistic vet or a homeopath.

Try taking him off commercial cat-food. It can cause allergies in many animals.

Hello,

Did your Vet so a skin scraping of the skin, if not please ask him to do so. There are many mites than can be bothering your baby and there are different medications to treat each. I have worked for a Vet for over 20 years.

My cat had a similar problem. I switched his food and in a few weeks he stopped itching. Generic, cheap food seems to cause a lot of allergies in pets. My cat is now on a venison/salmon dry food....more expensive, but he's not itching at all anymore, so it's totally worth it! And, no more visits to the vet! :)