Repair AdviceCars

GPS Instead of a Speedometer

We have an old car, and it needed a new speedometer. We were told by our friend who works on cars to just get a GPS and use it. GPS's tell your speed along with directions.

The car I am referring to is an 73 Monte Carlo and it would have cost a lot to get one. As it was, it didn't cost a thing, since we got it free from our banks points program.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

The question would be will it keep track of milage accurately? It may keep track of miles between destinations but miles in total would be the question. I would also be skeptical of how easy it is to monitor your speed with a glanse. The GPS wouldn't be capable of interaction with a cruise control but I don't think CC was available yet in '73.

Anonymous

Hi Robyn, I think your tip is good one and it just depends on the year, make and model of the car regarding concerns suntydt mentions. Not all speedometers and odometers work in tandem; in other words one doesn't work but the other one still does. It would be a concern though if your odometer isn't working so, just out of curiosity, is it?

Also, it depends on the GPS whether it's easily readable and where you choose to place it plus there are cell phone apps available that can solve the readablity problem and then just place the cell phone in a holster on the dashboard.

As for cruise control not everyone cares about it. I for one have a 2000 car and have never even once bothered using it. My way of thinking of it is why bother because my foot works - LOL ;-) Cruise control was available in the 1970's because I remember driving a friends car that had it.

I always find my self looking at my GPS for my speed for some reason. So it's pretty easy to read. But, it does tend to be a few miles per hour less than my speedometer speed, so watch out for that.