StainsCleaning

Water from Well Staining Everything

I recently purchased a home that has a well water. It has a nasty sulfur smell and anywhere the water has touched is rusty and tarnished. I am having to learn to do housework all over again at the age of 48! I am lost. I have no idea of how to clean anything as my old ways are now gone. The smell, well I have researched a bit and the only way I'm going to get rid of the proverbial rotten egg smell is to get an indoor Greensand or some kind of indoor aeration system to cleanse the water before it reaches the pipes. That is so expensive that I can't do that at the moment so I'm going to be satisfied if I can at least get things to sparkle again!

Thanks in advance for any advise from "a kindred sulfur soul".

Kate from Vermont

Bless your heart. I have lived with it most of my adult life. You have "hard water". It is an excess of iron and manganese. Not harmful, just yucky. It will stain everything until you get a water"softener" system. (Sears for $400, not counting monthly salt expenses.) In the meantime, a scouring agent called Zud, like Comet, but different properties will clean most items. Ust "The WorKs" or "Iron Out" for washing machine, dishwasher, etc. Don't bleach your hair! It will eventually turn a brassy color. Good Luck!

N'awe thanks for the blessing! I surely need it! This is all new to me.
Now I do have one issue I have heard of Zud, but isnt that abrasive? See the previous owners installed a bathtub that is plastic and Im afraid that will scrape it. I can however use it on everything else as the rest of the house is porcelain. Im also finding that my skin is dryer than it once was. I was used to spring water and thats so nice.
responding to the filtration system I kind of wanted to go to the level of not having to maintain it. There are some that although expensive they dont need the monthly injections or as such. Im hoping the IRS rebate will be very kind! hehe...I have high hopes dont I!!!

I too live with hard water from my well and my toilet and bath tub, coffee machine and dishwasher all have to be cleaned regularily with vinegar. Vinegar will get all the mineral buildup off, or out, depending on what you are cleaning. Once a week I run my coffee machine filled with vigegar. For really hard stains in my bathtub, I place sheets of papertowel on the stains and then spray with vinegar, leave for a few hours and upon my return, wipe clean.

Works wonders, but get yourself a water conditioner for less headaches.

ah paper towels and letting them soak sounds good! oops, never thought about the coffee maker! but its black..lol...I should have guessed there would be an issue when I looked into the washing machine that came with the house and the white interior is tinted orange!...lol..this is going to be more work that I know! gotta fix the hard water!

a scouring agent called Zud, like Comet, but different properties will clean most items.

Brenda! Im sold on Zud! I got some and went to work on the bowl and its now just a sparkle! My friend came by and saw what Id done and was in total shock and went to buy some for herself! I think you deserve not only a kudos, but some shares in that stock..lol
thanks a ton!

Talk to a local WELL DRILLER (Yellow Pages). They may be able to give you some good information for FREE. Good luck.