CarpetCleaning

Vacuum the Living Area Weekly

I was blessed to live in a house with no carpeting for over 4 years. Now, I unfortunately not only have to contend with a scuzzy wall-to-wall carpet, but some colorful throws which, though attractive, seem to gather all manners of dust and grime.

I have had to specifically add this to my list of chores - attempting to do it on a once-a-week basis - since I've discovered that vacuuming is one of those tasks that one can easily overlook. I will develop more fun tips and habits around this chore as the weeks wear on since it looks like it has, once again, become a part of my life.

By ahorrasi from Marshall, NC

I've had to schedule the chore of vacuuming too because you are so right-it's so easy to let this chore slip past. Lol, my neighbour Hoovers every day and recently confessed to me the only reason she does is because otherwise she forgets and then can't recall if she's done it recently!

I pulled out all my carpet years ago due to allergies and loved the cleaning ease! Now that I've remarried and moved into my new husband's carpeted home, I'm trying to convince him we should rip out the carpets here, too.

Until then, though, vacuuming is listed on my day planner. Sigh.

Anonymous

I suppose it depends on whether or not you have pet(s), where you live and what type of heating system you have. For me carpeted floors are far more preferable. At any rate, you're correct that you have to vacuum once a week (not only does it keep the carpet looking fresh but it keeps the dirt and debris from damaging/eroding the carpet fibers) but you have to sweep and clean flooring that often too ;-) I guess you just hate carpet and a vacuum - LOL.

When I had wood floors the darn pet fur and dust and dander (including human dander) would fly around everywhere simply because of the air circulation from the heat/air system or people walking through the house. I used to have to constantly dust everything and every couple of months had to wipe down all the plant leaves including the silk plants/trees. Once I got carpeting those chores eased up greatly. Thereafter only have only needed to dust every couple of weeks and now only have to wipe those leaves about once a year. Also, dust bunnies no longer collect in places like the grate at the bottom of the refigerator, under the stove, under the bed and even on the stovetop :-)

One thing that can really help cut down on scuzzy looking carpet is to require people to take their shoes off at the door; have an outdoor mat and a large throw rug inside the entrance door(s). Also, pick up items like dropped pieces of food, clean up liquid spills immediately and clean the carpet once a year.

Everyone is different but I am happy to have carpet which has greatly cut down on overall cleaning time and effort. Instead of an average of two or three hours a week cleaning everything it has been cut down to just one hour including mopping the linoleum. By following just a couple simple rules the carpets will stay nice looking for years to come. My current carpet is about three years old (the landlord had to replace it before I moved in because former tenants completely destoyed it) and still looks brand spanking new.

Thumbs up for your tip :-)

I much prefer wooden floors too, especially as we rent and it's hard to say how clean the previous tenants were or how old the carpet might be. Definitely a necessity though to vacuum frequently. I see all the dirt that accumulates on our floors every day, and I imagine that sinking into the carpets! I have a good HEPA vac and I still use it even though we have laminate flooring here. When we had carpet I used to run a little carpet sweeper around the place daily to help pick up stray dirt, then did a good vacuuming once a week.