Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

I have a chair that would be very difficult to remove the fabric. The fabric is a sturdy cotton. Is there a way I can brush fabric paint or fabric dye on the material to change the color while it is still on the chair?

Donna from New York, NY

I know that there are painted pieces of upholstered - I know a colleague painted designs on a couch just with fabric paint.

There are such things as COLD dyes that can be gotten at fabric shops. I know the Joann Fabric chain has them. Also, suggestions of using RIT is great. You USE the LIQUID form, not powdered. You can use a qtip to test an underside piece of fabric. The RIT website has directions for crafts, etc there. Also, you can use TEA or BEETS to color, or any other natural dye method.

Remember to do it outside or protect your flooring with heavy duty sheet plastic. WEAR GLOVES and old clothes. Also, get some sort of clamping item (I use kelly-surgical clamps) for so many crafts things and assists. You can find these in electronic shops as well.

OR get the small foam paint brushes to help put the color on smoothly.

Octoberbabye

Can you tell us what were the instructions from Michelle on DIY from BE ORiginal show about painting the couch. Did you try it - how easy was it and did the color turn out nice?