Removing Mold Odor from Cardboard Storage Boxes?

I retrieved many of our wedding items from a storage box in the basement today. It's been there since 1989. I thought it was safe, it wasn't. Everything smells of old mold yet doesn't look moldy. I can wash the items to eliminate the odor, but how do I get the stench out of the original boxes in which many things were stored? The boxes aren't fancy, just thin cardboard with clear plastic lids (from the 70s). I'd like to hand things down to my granddaughter, but not stinking like a bad day at the land fill! Thanks folks.

By Chia from Buffalo, NY

Since you mention the boxes are cardboard and are from the 70's (how many decades old is that now?), perhaps you should simply recycle those old boxes and purchase new ones for storage of the items you're wanting to give to your granddaughter after you wash the items.

Nothing Gold Can Stay - Robert Frost

I would simply get new boxes. Rubbermaid makes great storage containers.
Sandy

I don't think it is possible to get that musty smell out of cardboard. Toss these (well, recycle if you can), and get new plastic tubs.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 18, 2010
😷
🌻
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf88288861.tip.html

OdorsCleaning