Pet-Friendly Solution for Roaches

I need a way to rid of roaches. I can't use any sprays because I have my birds to think about and my neighbor's cat. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks from Yellow Tail and Chatter Box and of course Cat.

Linda from Century, FL

I can't remember exact name of product, but it is Max something. There is 12 discs in box, they are black, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches square each. The roaches go into the disc, and take poison back to their nest. I used up one box, putting one disc each in kitchen drawers, in kitchen cabinets, in the four corners of a room. One box was enough for me cause I lived in a small apartment. You may need more than one. Write down somewhere the date you put them out, and replace them about every 3 months. After awhile you won't need to replace them, or won't need to put so many out.

I like in Winter Haven, Fl and we make a 50/50 mix of plaster of paris and corn startch. Came across the recipe in a book called Joey Greens Magic Brands. We are very pleased with the results. Put the mixture in an old soda bottle and sprinkle all areas.

This sounds terrible, but we once lived in an apartment that had gotten infested with roaches before we moved in and we had to fight them ourselves until the landlord finally treated the complex.

I did it this way in order to save money, but it would also save the pets. I accidentally happened upon this solution. Leave out coffee that has been sweetened with sugar and coffee mate. Be sure that the rest of your home is clean, straight and dry before you go to bed.

When you wake up in the morning, it will creep you out to see how many roaches tried out the mixture overnight. Then just dump the cups out and clean them with soap and boiling water. Do the same thing until they are all gone. Sounds nutty, but it works!

Of course, you will need to hide the cups of coffee from the animals, but most pets don't like coffee, and even if they did, it wouldn't hurt them to drink a little during the night. Well except for them being a little wired from the caffeine!

The best product I've found is Combat Platinum Roach Killing Gel. It's safe around pets because you don't have to put it where the pets can get at it (I have 2 small dogs and a cat). It works fantastic! And where I used to have a bad problem with them, I haven't seen one in my home now in several months.

I buy it at Wal-Mart in the household bug repellent section, where you find the Raid spray. I tried those Max roach traps and they don't do a thing. The roaches just walked around them and never went in. Huge waste of money!

My problem is that my cats come in and out and they stay on bug patrol. If they see a bug, they will kill it. I find it dead and sometimes half gone. So I don't want something that might poison them if they bite into a bug. Any suggestions?

This is kind of embarrassing, but we have a roach problem. Is there a quick solution to get rid of them? We spray and get them under control, but we are disabled and by the time we get around to moving out the fridge and stove they have got a hold again.

I know that there are people that have these just like we do, but it is still an embarrassing subject. We are not dirty people, we just can't get rid of them. I have been reading about diatomaceous earth, will this get rid of them? We also have 4 small furbabies in the house. Thank you in advance for your time and kindness and your input. Take care. God bless you and your loved ones.

By ckjb

Answers

I bought the "Roach Motels" at The Dollar General store ,it has to be the kind to prevent eggs . They are cheap and they do work. I put them in corners of every room, in cabinets and under appliances. Good Luck!

I have used powdered Boric Acid that I bought at Walmart, but I have seen it at many stores. It will work. Sprinkle it around baseboards and doorways and behind and under appliances. Good Luck!

I had some of the creatures last summer and tried various home remedies and things that you could buy in stores, and nothing worked, until I told the manager of our apartment complex and he had "pest control" come. That person set out tent shaped sticky things and then he had what looked like a large syringe that had some kind of stuff in it that he shot along the base of the cabinets,etc. I am 71 years old and partially disabled so am unable to pull out the stove and refrigerator to clean in back and under them. I also can't afford to hire somebody to do it. Nobody ever told me it would be so painful to get old. lol

I too use the black flat roach 'hotels' made I believe by maxx. I change them every 3-4 months. I put a sticker with date on them when I change them, so my age and condition won't let me forget when the next time to change is. My homeworker helps with this cause I too am handicapped.