PomeranianDog Breeds

Pomeranian Won't Come When I Call

I am having an awful time getting my 2 year old pom to come to me when I call. He has a fenced in area in the back yard just out of the door to roam and do his duty. Lately, he has found a way out of the fence. This time he has been gone for nearly 2 days and 1 night. Sam will come to the patio or the carport and then run off whenever i open the door to call him to come in. I even bribed him with food. He is a pampered pet but the neighbors must think he is abused by the way he runs from me.

Several times Sam has managed to sneak past me and out the front door. Fortunately, the neighbors know where he belongs but I am afraid of a stranger getting him or someone running over him. As it is, he is solid black and of course almost impossible to see after dark. Please, if anyone can respond with a solution I will be more than grateful.

Nelwyn from BUNKIE, LA

I suggest you fix the fence, and get you both use to him going out on a leash until he is better trained. I also believe in punishing bad behavior, not awarding with tempting food. If you don't get a little stricter with this pet, you are going to loose him, or get him killed as he runs around the neighborhood. I have 4 chihuahuas, and 1 pom/chi. The pom/chi is the strongest willed one. We have to show alot of love, but, have strict rules for their potty runs. If they don't observe them, I would walk them on a leash to do their business until they did. I have to be strict, we live in the country, with no fence. When they go out, they are trained to stay close, then get right back in. You have to have rules, and unruly pom will get hurt or killed.

I have the same problem, and find that if I chase after her it only gets worse. She thinks it's a game. I don't ever let her out the door unless she's on a leash.