Websites Offering Free Computer Software Classes

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any web sites where I could download free computer courses starting with beginners and moving up (not to the advanced level). I have Googled it, but the ones that state they are free, are not. When you open them they want money and I can't afford them.

I think the course that I am looking for is Word. I want to learn how to do letters, charts, posters, greeting cards, labels, etc. I have got Microsoft Word on my computer, but I have no idea how to use it. I know I am not using my computer to do other things on it just because I really don't know how.

I have looked on You Tube, but the videos are very quick and not very clear so I can't understand the instructions. Also I feel if I get clear visual instructions I would learn better. I am using my PC with MS Windows 7 OS and a broadband connection. I hope someone can help me as I really would like to get more out of my computer than what I am doing now. My local library used to do free computer courses, but due to the cutbacks they have been stopped.

Many thanks. Helen xx

By helen from U.K

Check with your community center if you have one, they may offer courses. Another possible option is a search on the Microsoft website. After all it is their product. But they will probably want to sell you something as well. Your third option is a satellite community college or a community college (depending on what is in your area). I know, none of this is probably free. The best option is probably to just open it up and start playing with it. Use the "help" area as well. As you think of things look them up. You can also ask questions on the Microsoft Office forums. That also may be a good place to ask if anyone knows where to get an online course. Good luck.

Word has a help center. It usually is up in the right hand corner. Experiment. Look at the tool bar and find out what the different things do.

Word is not too complicated and if you just play around with it you will be surpriosed. I think there is a "Word for Dummies" book oout there too.

Microsoft does offer free tutorials. Also, if you click on the little question mark in the toolbar, you can bring up a table of contents for whatever you are looking to do. Some versions ask you to type in what you are looking for, say creating labels. Then you will see info on how to do it.

www.edumax.com/
www.asktcl.com/

If all else fails, Google "DearWebby.com." If he doesn't know, no one does! Cay from FL

Go back to the library and look over their selection of books on Word. You should be able to find one that fits your needs, is clear to you, and let's you build on your knowledge step by step. Take it home and work with it on your computer. Try a few books until you find the one that you feel is the best, and then buy your own copy.

Don't be afraid to open up a blank Word document and experiment, either. You don't have to save your mistakes, just delete them. Click on drop-down menus, etc. and see what the options are and try them out. You'll find that you "learn by doing", and the more you experiment, the better you'll get. :)

Have you checked with HP Learning Center i.e. Hewlett Packard? They have some great programs for free
h30187.www3.hp.com/index.jsp
Try the above link.

Plenty of FREE tutorials of each subject matter in Win7 at:
windows.microsoft.com/.../getting-started

There are video tutorials here for Office 2007 [Word]
office.microsoft.com/.../CH010224760.aspx as well as their insistance of wanting you to try 2010... :))
[I too am upgrading to Win7 from XP....and I'm hoping that the learning curve is not too bad]

I got my new 'puter w/Win7 & Office 2010, after struggling with Win7 for 2 weeks, trying to rationalize WHY Microsoft wanted to redesign 'the wheel', I told my builder to replace Win7 with XP Pro. The Microsoft Win7 group must be on the Apple payroll to have created such a monster. if they wanted to redesign the way a computer functions, they should have issued a Business Version. I was not happy having to learn how to make a Folder, or ask myself "Where did the folder go to?" I am happy with XP and it's simple methods.

I still have the disk & Product Code for Win7 but I pray that it never comes to having to use it. I did keep Office 2010; more bells & whistles than I'll ever even contemplate; but if a Microsoft 'update' suddenly decides that Office 2010 will NOT function without Win7, I still have good old Office 2010 disk and Product code.

Hi, just want to say many thanks to the wonderful T/F members who replied to my question about free computer courses on line they were so helpful. Helen xxxx

Computers SoftwareNovember 22, 2010
🍀
💘