Learning to Use a Computer

Category Tips
There are books, software and online educational sites where you can learn many things about computers. This guide is about learning to use a computer.

My grandpa wants to learn to use the computer and Internet. Because of my job I do not get enough time to teach him. He doesn't want to go out and take classes. Any other easy ways?

Gloria

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry I can't give you the exact links - but I know that there are senior sites that have computer lessons - Maybe Third Age? or Eons? And you could also go out (or go on the net) & get him a copy of Internet for Dummies - which is an easy introduction.
He should have a lot of fun with it - so encourage him!

Best Answer

Maybe call your local high school. Kids are so smart, and many
teens don't have grandparents. I would bet it would spark interest in a caring teen. Office people at the school may be willing to help you out. Good luck!

I am now on the internet with a webtv box. I am getting a computer in a few days and am looking for a reasonable ISP in Pennsylvania. I am also totally computer illiterate and am looking for articles on how to use the computer. Webtv is very simple and I am overwhelmed by the complexity of a computer.Thanks for your help.

Answers

Best Answer

It is very easy to learn to use a computer. All you need is someone knowledgable to show you how.
Call the nearest high school. Ask to speak with a computer teacher. Let this teacher know that you are looking for a helpful, bright student you can hire to come over for a few hours a week for a month or so. They will send you a student who is likely to major in computer science, and hiring a student is much less expensive than finding a professional.

Best Answer

Some senior centers have computer classes for their members. Most towns of any size, I'm saying in the 100,000 population have different places that if you are low enough income you can get free computer lessons, I think, but am not sure that it is supposed to be for job prep. Also I have seen a book mentioned called Computers For Dummies.

Best Answer

The place that offers free introductory classes is the public library! Also, as someone already noted, the Senior Center. The latter is because the Baby Boomer's are a huge age group that wants to learn how to email their grandchildren in college or use Skype to talk with their grown kids far away. Frankly, I would also look around my neighborhood or teenage relatives and pay one of the kids to come over your home and literally show you stuff.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any web sites where I could download free computer courses starting with beginners and moving up (not to the advanced level). I have Googled it, but the ones that state they are free, are not. When you open them they want money and I can't afford them.

I think the course that I am looking for is Word. I want to learn how to do letters, charts, posters, greeting cards, labels, etc. I have got Microsoft Word on my computer, but I have no idea how to use it. I know I am not using my computer to do other things on it just because I really don't know how.

I have looked on You Tube, but the videos are very quick and not very clear so I can't understand the instructions. Also I feel if I get clear visual instructions I would learn better. I am using my PC with MS Windows 7 OS and a broadband connection. I hope someone can help me as I really would like to get more out of my computer than what I am doing now. My local library used to do free computer courses, but due to the cutbacks they have been stopped.

Many thanks. Helen xx

By helen from U.K

Answers

Check with your community center if you have one, they may offer courses. Another possible option is a search on the Microsoft website. After all it is their product. But they will probably want to sell you something as well. Your third option is a satellite community college or a community college (depending on what is in your area). I know, none of this is probably free. The best option is probably to just open it up and start playing with it. Use the "help" area as well. As you think of things look them up. You can also ask questions on the Microsoft Office forums. That also may be a good place to ask if anyone knows where to get an online course. Good luck.

Word has a help center. It usually is up in the right hand corner. Experiment. Look at the tool bar and find out what the different things do. Word is not too complicated and if you just play around with it you will be surpriosed. I think there is a "Word for Dummies" book oout there too.

Microsoft does offer free tutorials. Also, if you click on the little question mark in the toolbar, you can bring up a table of contents for whatever you are looking to do. Some versions ask you to type in what you are looking for, say creating labels. Then you will see info on how to do it.

If all else fails, Google "DearWebby.com." If he doesn't know, no one does! Cay from FL

Go back to the library and look over their selection of books on Word. You should be able to find one that fits your needs, is clear to you, and let's you build on your knowledge step by step. Take it home and work with it on your computer. Try a few books until you find the one that you feel is the best, and then buy your own copy. Don't be afraid to open up a blank Word document and experiment, either. You don't have to save your mistakes, just delete them. Click on drop-down menus, etc. and see what the options are and try them out. You'll find that you "learn by doing", and the more you experiment, the better you'll get. :)

Have you checked with HP Learning Center i.e. Hewlett Packard? They have some great programs for free
http://h30187.w … hp.com/index.jsp
Try the above link.

I have Microsoft Word. The bar across the top of the document page used to have buttons for adding bold, italics, changing font, changing font size. This has disappeared.

The Help feature refuses to recognize my cd's, because it tells me I need to put one in, and when I do, it doesn't like it.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Answers

If you have Word up, you can right click on the bar section and get that bar back up. if not, email me at tlbuck AT hotmail.com or Shahar_Thorne AT yahoo.com (much better) and send me an image of what you got. I can take it from there.

Theresa

right click on the top toolbar, then click on "formating" when the drop-down box appears. That will do it.

Thank you, everyone, for all of your very helpful suggestions!

it may be that your home page was hijacked this happened to me and icontacted microsoft and they helped me fix the problem and also helped me install safe guards to stop this from happening

Try this first.
Click on View.
Click on toolbars.
Check that standard and formatting are both ticked. Click back in your document to close.
The toolbar you want should come back.
Regards
Sheena

Submitted via Email:

Well, I actually solved my last query, and I will tell how.

The solution to bringing back the toolbar from my previous query about searching for the toolbar with Italics, bold, font, etc. was to go to: VIEWS, TOOLBARS, FORMATTING

By Holly from Richardson, TX

If your toolbar in WORD 2007 has disappeared try clicking on HOME and click on MINIMIZE RIBBON. This should make the toolbar reappear.

When I click on View / Views, I don't see Toolbasrs at all. I see document view, show/hide, zoon, window, and macros ribbons. Did my IT give a numbskull restricted install I wonder.

I also don't see what Joy is talking about. I right click most anywhere and don't see formatting.

I want to put an icon on the bottom of my screen for Facebook and Pinterest so I can click on it and go straight there. How do I do that?

By Nancy Y.

I'm thinking about offering individual computer and internet instruction for extra money. Anyone have any advice? Should I charge mileage (maybe over 20 mile?), how much should I charge, and is this a viable idea? I thought I may advertise in the local paper.

Thanks,
Margaret from VA