BanquetParties

Suggestions for Banquet Honoring Police Officers, Firefighters, and EMTs

My church would like to host a meal and give some gifts to police officers, firefighters, and EMTs on 9/11. I would like suggestions for decorations, gifts, and possible entertainment. Thanks.

By Sandy Gerber

My hubby and I a former firefighters and emts. Might I suggest small little photo albums. one thing we both missed on our shifts were our families. I carried pictures of my kids and put it by my nightsatnd. It helped remind me why I was there. I think anything that gives them that home connection would be fantastic.

I would emphasize that they are the heroes of the community. Don't waste any money on mugs or pens or knic-knacks that are police, fire, EMT related....they are bombarded with those things from family, etc. Use your money to give them gift certificates to local stores or restaurants or grocery stores.

For decorations, I'd do banners that say, "our heroes" and maybe have school children write them thank you notes that you could put at each place setting on the top of the plates.