CatsPets

Teaching a Cat to Use the Toilet

Is it possible to teach or train a cat to use the toilet and flush it? She likes to go in the bathroom and stick her paw in the toilet. If so, how do you do it? It would save tons of $ on litter and cat pans.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

I don't know about flushing, but you can teach a cat to use a toilet, you can buy kits online or you can use a stainless steel bowl that fits inside the lid of the toilet, fill it with litter then gradually use less and less litter over the span of a few days, followed by filling the bowl with water, then if that cat goes in that water filled bowl, just remove it and the cat should go in the toilet. You can google it for more in depth instructions.

There is a woman in Denver in the news lately for training cats to do all sorts of things using a clicker and reward system. Cats apparently can be trained to do a lot, just have short attention spans.

I think it's enough to get kitty to go in the toilet. Flushing would require too much muscle strength.

This reminds me of the movie "Meet the Fockers." Haha, good luck doing this. I think it would be awesome!

There is a video on the Web, try Google. My cousin trained her cat to pee in the toilet, but I think the cat uses the litter box too.