TravelTravel and Recreation

Emergency No Slip Mat for the Bathtub

Just a very simple suggestion - we stayed at a Hampton Hotel with no anti-skid treads in the tub. Yep, it was slippery.

On the spur of the moment, I threw a towel onto the the tub floor for resistance. It actually worked! If it didn't, we were going to head for the nearest store and buy some suction treads or a rubber mat. Was wondering if the towel would bunch up and head for the drain area (it did) but I managed to shower without slipping and only had to retrieve the towel once.

Much better than an accident! Other than that, it was a nice hotel and I'll stay there again next time we go out of town.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

I always bring my own bathtub mat whenever i travel. It keeps me happy to know our feet are the only ones that touched it! Folds flat and drys fast!

Holly, We have done the same thing. I wonder why the hotels don't get a clue! Judy in Alabama

I stayed at a M.....t and that happened to me and my daughter so I left and went to the embassy suites across the way form this hotel and did complain to the manager when I got home and they sent me a gift certificate for a free night.

I purchased a placemat for this purpose. It is the kind with tiny squares and is plastic. It also comes as shelf liners. I keep it in my suitcase for times like this.

That placemat suggestion is a great idea. Real bath mats are cumbersome.

When vacationing in EUROPE and staying at a hotel in ITALY I was taking a shower and the area of the tub was completely marble, sides and bottom. There were no grab bars and no tub grids or bath mat. Yep, you guessed it. I fell and broke my arm in 2 places. My vacation was short changed as I ended up going home to seek help with my hospital back home.

The personnel in ITALY spoke no ENGLISH and when I went to their hospital I finally found an interpreter. I was told by the doctor, after taking x-rays and putting the arm in a huge wrapped ace-like bandage, that I could return in 1 week. If the arm was healing, fine. If not, they would operate. Now I travel with a tiny bath mat which is always in my suitcase. Better safe than sorry.