GiftsCrafts

Ideas For Making Inukshuks

I would like to make small inukshuks, which are stone sculptures the Inuit in Canada create to mark trails, for my husband's Canadian family. They have round or flat pieces to make the legs, body and head and some longer flat pieces to mark the start of the body and the arms. I'd like to use frosted glass, sea glass, etc., but I'm having trouble coming up with the materials. Any ideas?

Toni from Burlingame, CA

Inukshuks

Am thinking rocks from creek beds - but then you'd be near poisonous water snakes.

How about paintings of Inukshuks on bark?

I've seen them made from ice and they are beautiful so glass should work well.
I made one based on a clay pot suggestion.

You could make one out of driftwood (legs) and them make the upper parts out of glass/shells...

By Corrie Rowe (Guest Post)

What about getting REAL creative and making them out of hypertufa. There are instructions all over the net for making it.

That is very thoughtful of you to want to do this for your Canuk in-laws.
Inukshiks have "migrated" to the south of Canada and are quite common all the hi-ways & bi-ways, but always a nice treat to see.

Not to be given away, only to mark the way...
Since you're in CA, why not make one from something unique to where you are now living.
Just a Canuk who been North & please to see the Inuit culture coming to all of us.
D.

Toni-
Take a short ride up to Building Resources in San Francisco, plenty of materials including beach glass, stone scraps, tile samples, etc. It's just off 3rd St near Cesar Chavez St.
Directions on their website: http://buildingresources.org
Another great place, near there, open Tues-Sat is SCRAP (Scroungers Center for Recyclable Art Parts) http://scrap-sf.org
All kinds of craft and art supplies (cash only and just take $40 the first time or you'll go nuts!)

Stan in San Francisco

By Nancy James (Guest Post)

We make & sell Inukshuks of all sizes. The most popular are
the one's made with stone and I cannot help you with the materials you are look for but I just wanted to let you know that we have written 3 children's books about Inukshuks along with an activity book.

These will be marketed on the Internet withing the next few weeks. If you would like some more info on these please Email me at njames3 AT cogeco.ca. Please let me know how you make out with what you are looking for. Thanks Nancy James