AdvicePets

White Worm on My Puppy

I found a little white worm on my puppy. What kind of worm could it be? Where could it have come from?

Petrina from Poplarville, MS

If it is little like rice, then it is probably a tapeworm. They get those from ingesting infected fleas. If it is a long white worm then it is probably a roundworm. They get those from the mother or ground outside. Your vet can take care of either.

It culd be a maggot. I'd go for a vet check in any case.

It's most likely a Round Worm, but it doesn't matter WHAT kind of worm it is, Nearly all cats & dogs get worms from their mothers milk & EVERY puppy & kitten needs to be wormed when they are very young, twice! ...Do this for your puppy's health & your families safety, because if you don't, he'll probably start throwing up plies of live worms. Really!

---> If you can't afford a vet, you can buy the worming meds off the Internet, just Google "Pet Worming Supplies", or you can go to the vet & buy the worming meds directly from them & not pay for the office visit & exam (Usually you don't have to pay for an exam, because the vet's assistant & not the actual vet will do the worming & the shots)... But your pet needs a full work up of shots too, so if you can afford a vet, then by all means, please take your pet to one for his shots & worming. Once you have a regular vet, you can call their office & ask them questions like this (at no charge).

My cat had a tape worm (They look like little pieces of rice under their tail) These are tiny fragments of the much bigger tape worm that is stuck to the inside of their stomach lining sucking off the pets blood & nutrients. My cat used to love to eat milk, cheese & other things, he was ALWAYS hungry (even thought he was fat) but once we wormed him (& got rid of that tape worm) he eats normally now & won't touch dairy products... My daughter's cat vomited the pile of round worms... These nasty things can make them gag... sorry to gross you out, but worms ARE gross! ... I can't believe people let their cats up on their kitchen countertops (spreading worm eggs everywhere)!

Take a stool sample to the vet and see if he has worms.

Where is this worm? If it is on puppy's skin then it is more than likely ring worm which is not a worm at all but looks like a worm. Using something for athlete's feet should clear it up if you persistently put it on over and over again for many weeks. What concerns me is since puppy will lick, it might be best to take him to the vet and let them decide what it is and what he can take and not be harmed.

You can get puppy wormer at walmart for less than 5 bucks. Just follow the directions on the package. People can get worms from their animals so please treat the puppy. It's easy and not very expensive.

If you check with your local Humane Society you can get your pup shots, dewormed and heart worm meds for much cheaper than at a regular vet. I am on disability and so can't afford a regular vet. The Humane Society uses real vets who volunteer their time and the money they get helps the shelter take care of all the animals.

I buy my flea control drops at the feed store. I buy for a big dog and then divide it up to work on my smaller dogs so that it is cheaper. The vet told me it was okay to do this even though the flea control company said it wouldn't work. Believe me it works just fine. I bought a few syringes without needles from Walgreens to help me measure out the flea drops. I just pour the drops in the syringe and carefully squeeze out the air while holding the syringe upside down and tap it a little to get all the bubbles out. You can get dewormer at the feed store too.

After you get your pup vaccinated and dewormed you can feed it garlic cloves once every 3-4 months or so to keep worms out of him. I do this and when I take my dogs once a year to the vet the worm test always says "no worms". The web page where I got this information is:

http://www.eart  alParasites.html

This seems to help with the fleas and mosquitos, too. Just don't give onions as they are poisonous to dogs. Garlic is only dangerous if fed alot in a short period of time. You can give aged Garlic capsules if you don't want a garlicky breath pup :) licking on you. Good luck with your pup.