FurnitureCleaning

My Fake Leather Couch Leaves stains on Clothes!

Category Furniture

I've got an amazing fake leather couch set that has reclining chairs and a foldaway bed that's been sitting around unused for awhile in a storage warehouse. The problem is that the couch every so often will leave stains on the backs of shirts and sometimes pants. I've tried all-purpose cleaner and leather cleaner to minimal effect. Please help me with ideas!

Greg

Have you tried using Scotchgard? It's a cheap and easy way to tame the leather beast. Good luck.

By LPfusch (Guest Post)

Hi,
This sounds like the leather had not been sealed properly. If this is the case a Good wipe down with a vinegar soaked cloth should seal the pores of the leather and thus prevent the curing agent from rubbing of. Also you may consider going to a store that sells scotchguard and try spraying that on it . Just an Idea... hope it helps!

If it is a fake leather, I'd clean it good with Armorall. You can buy it at the auto parts store. That should seal it and also clean off any extra dye.

- Susan

By Brian (Guest Post)

Greg, I am having a similar problem, and was wondering if any of those solutions worked? Thanks a Bunch!

By Jerry (Guest Post)

What's the difference between fake and real leather? (I'm terribly sorry for changing subjects, but it's a question I need to get off my chest)

By Ro (Guest Post)

Hi, for me, the problem is in reverse. I just bought an expensive pair of white jeans which I like very much, and it was stained in the wash by the leather name/brand emblem/tag on the waistband on the back of the jean.

Any suggestions to get this red/orange brown stain out of the jeans?

Fake leather is a type of vinyl so don't use leather products on it. Call a furniture store and see if they can help you. If you bought it new I'd ask them about a replacement. It shouldn't shed color.