Freezing Mushrooms

It's getting to be seafood boiling season and that means getting ready with your ingredients. With the stores stating to have mushrooms on sale (that is a necessity for your boil), can I freeze mushrooms? How long can they be frozen for?

By Ann from Poplarville, MS

I took some frozen stuffed mushrooms out of the freezer the other day and baked them in the oven and they ended up in the wastebasket. They were soft and slimey. I think they are best used fresh.

Anonymous

For what you're going to use them for, yes, you can. Here are two choices:

Freezing Raw (Freeze whole, for use within 3 months) :

Choose very fresh mushrooms; wipe with a clean cloth to remove dirt. Place each a little apart on a baking tray and open-freeze as quickly as possible. When mushrooms are frozen, pack into containers, fit on a lid and replace in freezer. Use within 3 months. Use straight from the freezer for pies, casseroles or stews or thaw for about 1 hour and use as required.

Freezing, Par-boiled:

Wash raw mushrooms. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 quart rapidly boiling water. To keep mushrooms white, add 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to water. Add mushrooms. Let water come to a boil again. Boil mushrooms 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly. Seal in plastic bags. Freeze. Will keep about one year.

Yes you can. I do it all the time. I do not wash the msuchrooms first. Instead I shake or brush them off and lay them on a cutting board to freeze. After they are frozen I put them in freezer bags. When I am ready to use them I wash them off. They will be soft and dark when they thaw but that will happen when you cook them anyway.

For what we use them for, I clean them and fry them in a little bit of olive oil and butter, along with onions and/or garlic, cool, and freeze in a freezer-baggie.

It's much better to dehydrate mushrooms for storage. I think it improves the flavor of them for many dishes. You can rehydrate them by saoking in warm water for about 15 minutes, or just adding to your dish with a bit extra liquid. Anne