Removing a Blood Stain on a Wedding Dress

Wedding Dress
A blood stain on your wedding dress should be removed with care, as many of these garments are dry clean only. This is a guide about removing a blood stain on a wedding dress.

I have a dilemma. It is Monday. My daughter is getting married on Saturday. I somehow got what appears to be two tiny spots of blood (possibly from a pin prick) on my dress. The dress is a mint green (100% polyester). Any suggestions on how to get these spots out without marking the dress?

Beverly from , Pottsville, PA

I submitted an idea for removing blood from clothing and it was printed on ThriftyFun.com. First, put a white cloth on the underside of the dress then drop peroxide on the spot. Then dab with another white cloth and continue until the stain is gone. You might try the peroxide on an area for testing to make sure the color of the dress is not affected. I pre-treat with peroxide before laundering clothes. I have not had any problems with color damage and the blood stains are gone.

If the peroxide doesn't work, try awesome sold at dollar tree or stores like it. Spray a little on spot and use trigger sprayed to scrape the stain out! It always works. I use awesome on everything!

I got blood on my prom dress somehow, and somebody advised me to spit on the stain. I did and the blood came out straight away. Try it, it honestly works even on dried blood :) x

Try household ammonia, I use the sudsing kind. It took out ANY blood I got on fabrics with no trouble. In this case, dip a Qtip in it, dab on the spots or spot. Let sit for about 1/2 an hour. Rinse with soapy water just on the spots, then clear a couple of times. Blot and allow to dry.

The spit tactic works I just did it on my own dress with blood and it came right now no problems.

Anonymous

Just dab it with cod water, it worked for me

Please can someone help me! My friend was making alterations to my ivory silk wedding dress and pricked her finger and has left a blood stain on it. How do I get the stain out, it has dried in now. Please help, I don't know what to do!

Many thanks,
Mylie in London

Answers:

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

I would recommend dipping a q-tip in hydrogen peroxide and carefully dabbing it on the stain. Here are some other methods for removing blood both fresh and dried from silk.

From: http://www.srfabrics.com/care/stain.htm

Blood

If still fresh, sponge with cool salted water (1 spoon per cup water) and rinse with clear water.

For set blood stains, one of the best recommendations is the use of a commercial meat tenderizer (these are found in the spice section of your supermarket). Meat tenderizer breaks down the proteins in the fibrin strings that form when blood clots, allowing the stain to be released. Other suggestions we have received:

• Try an enzyme presoak
  • Soak in a diaper wash/sanitizer that contains sodium percarbonate (follow label instructions)
  • Try dilute hydrogen peroxide (1 part : 9 parts water). Rinse well. Be Careful, strong solutions of hydrogen peroxide can bleach fabrics.
  • Sponge with a lukewarm 10% solution of Oxalic Acid for a few minutes, then rinse well. You can get this from the hardware store paint department or a pharmacy.
  • Sponge with dilute ammonia (1 spoon per cup). Rinse well.
For thick or unwashable articles, e.g. mattresses, carpets, etc., sponge lightly with one of the above solutions. If the stains are still fresh, and the police have left, sprinkle with meat tenderizer or pepsin powder (from your pharmacy), or spread with a thick paste of raw laundry starch and water, leave to dry, then brush off. Wipe with damp cloth an repeat if necessary.(/quote) (04/26/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

I have heard that if whoever's blood it is spits on the item the stain will be removed. It has to be that person's blood. I haven't tried it yet to see if it works.
Sandy (04/26/2005)

By Sandy

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Try taking it to a dry cleaner. (04/26/2005)

By sandy

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

I have done bridal alterations for years. It is always best to dab it with cold water as soon as it happens. But since it has dried, just use a WHITE washcloth and wet it well with COLD Water in a small area. Then hold the wet cloth on the blood stain and let the cold water saturate the blood, dab gently as you do this. It will slowly break up the blood and the stain will disappear. The more dried it is the longer it will take to break it up. Use more cold water as needed. I would sometimes just lay the wet cloth on the garment and leave it alone for 5-10 minutes. Most silks and bridal fabrics today will not water mark so I just let it dry naturally. DON'T use a hairdryer with heat to try and dry it. Let it dry naturally or use COLD AIR out of a hairdryer. If this technique scares you or the seamstress, take it to the dry cleaners immediately!!! Good Luck! (04/26/2005)

By Sew Sew Mitch

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

I've never had occasion to use this method but I have heard others say they have good results from using hydrogen peroxide to remove blood from clothing. Good Luck! (04/26/2005)

By Patti Orr

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

If all else fails, you could sew a silk flower or bow over it to hide the stain. (04/26/2005)

By Lynne

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Strange as it seems, Sandy's tip about the spit works. I have done it. To repeat, in case you missed Sandys tip... whoevers blood is on the garment must spit on it. I vigorously rubbed stain, but in this case, I would gently swab with soft white face cloth dampened with cold water. (04/27/2005)

By Anna

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Hydrogen peroxide works great! (04/27/2005)

By Donna J.

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Place a towel under the stain and put an ice cube on top, let it melt. Should take stain right out. (04/30/2005)

By patsAZ

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

If your dress is white, dab hydrogen peroxide on the stain and let stay for just a minute or two. It should come right out. NEVER rub it will set the stain deeper into the fabric. Congratulations and good luck. (05/05/2005)

By Walker

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Same thing happened to me yesterday! Apparently dilute hydrogen peroxide will help get it out. If the stain has set, i heard dilute meat tenderizer solution breaks up the stain. Do you think your friend will pay for the dry cleaning? (05/08/2005)

By Erica Read

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Using hydrogen peroxide is an old hospital nurse's trick and it will work. Works great on white but on colors it will sometimes fade or discolor. I've had a lot of luck using a product from the local pet store Natures Miracle. This product is used to clean up vomit and such from pets made on carpet. Its an enzyme product and I used it full strength. I just removed blood from our sea foam green silk bed cover. This was human blood dried over night, using a white paper towel moistening one corner and brushing it vigorously in several directions and not over soaking the area. Once it appeared to be gone I used a dry white paper towel and rubbed it until thoroughly dry, looks great (07/24/2007)

By Fletcher

Blood Stain On Wedding Dress

Your own spit will remove your own blood, so have her put some saliva onto the dress in whichever manner she finds best. The stain must be wet! You can then blot it up. Work from the outside in so it doesn't spread out too much! Repeat as needed, since I don't think you will be putting it in a washer. Once you get most of it out, a trip to the dry cleaners will finish it off. Have her wet the area with saliva again, and also make sure the dry cleaners know it is there so they can also treat it.

This works amazingly well on cotton, and I've used it on silk and faux silk too. Yay. (03/10/2008)

By bcgrote