Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

After years of trying every product imaginable to get blood out of clothing, I finally found what works. My father-in-law's colleague told him that the person whose blood it belongs to, can "lick" it out. So I tried it. I had a stain on my skirt (cotton) from where a razor cut on my leg had bled. I took a small amount of my own saliva on my finger and began to rub the stain.

It took it completely out: not even the faint ring that is often left behind. However, a few weeks later when my son had a blood stain on one of his athletic uniforms, it was his saliva, not mine, that got it out. My amazement at how well it worked overcame my reluctance at how gross it was.

By Cassy from Enterprise, AL

32 More Solutions

I had two shepherd dogs who were sisters but once in a while would get into an arguments. One day they did and got some blood on one of my favorite pillow covers. The pillow cover was tossed into the laundry basket instead of the wash.

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time!

My husband went fishing the other day, and came home with fish blood stained through his jeans to his underwear and on his white T-shirt. I washed the whites in bleach and dried them, but the stains were still there.

Use household ammonia (full strength) to remove blood stains from clothing. Try to catch the stain as quickly as possible, and launder right away in cold water. Stain will disappear.

I was in the hospital this week with a hip replacement. I had gotten all dressed to come home and the student nurse removed the IV from my arm. Next thing we knew, the gauze was soaked with blood and blood was running down my arm. A big drop fell on my shirt. The Physical Therapy lady told me to spit on it. The enzymes in my spit would help to take it out.

A blood stain on a garment.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To remove blood stains from clothing, follow these steps immediately, if possible:

Remove blood from clothing is by using salt. Where the stain is, get it wet and then cover the stain with salt and let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. Then when you are ready to wash it in the washer, add your regular amount of detergent you normally use, but add about 3-4 tablespoons of salt to your wash as well. Wash as usual, and you will get great results!

Salt for Removing Blood from Clothing - container of salt

How to clean dry blood from cloth?

Earl from TN

Answers

Best Answer

If the cloth has not already been washed and dried you can pour peroxide onto the blood, when it stops foaming add more peroxide, continue to do this untill the blood is gone........this works GREAT!

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I saw this guy on one of those PBS specials do this: wet the area with peroxide and sprinkle on baking soda to make a paste. Pound it in with a brush. Don't scrub back and forth. Do this from both sides of the fabric adding more peroxide and baking soda till the stain is gone. If the fabric is wool or silk, you may not get it out without damaging the fabric.

By Ann (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I would sincerely like to thank everyone on this page. I had a blood stain on a dryclean only white down comforter and tried the peroxide. I used a cup underneath it to drain through and I am so happy with the results. It took quite a bit, but it really does work. Thank you so much!

Answer this Question

I have had a blood stain on my bed quilt for a quite a while now. It's dried, but I'm sure there's still a way to get it out. Does anyone know any cheap and easy ways to get it out? And yes, unfortunately, my bed quilt is white. I hope somebody can still help me though!

By Buddy

Answers

Best Answer

I use a product called LA's Awesome cleaner. You can get it at Dollar General or even the Dollar Tree. It's very inexpensive & it works! I have got blood, gatorade, pet urine stains, grease, red clay & more out of my clothes & bedding. I have even used it in my carpet cleaner. Try it you'll be amazed at the cleaning power it has.

Answer this Question

How do I remove old blood stains from fabric?

Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

Answers

Best Answer

Hopefully the stain hasn't been set with heat - try to soak it in cold water as you would for any blood stains. Then try to remove the stain with bleach or hydrogen peroxide (a light bleach which works well with heat - so iron over it with a pressing cloth) or then try stain removers such as Shout and Zout to remove the stain. If the cloth is not white, it will be more difficult to remove the stain without also bleaching the fabric a bit.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If the item is washable, try rubbing the stain with a fels naptha bar (found in the hand soap aisle) and launder. I have had good luck with that. Also try the peroxide with it. Can't hurt as the stain has pretty much ruined the item anyway.

Best Answer

409 takes out all blood stains. My sister told me this 30 yrs. ago, works!

Answer this Question

I have a green woolen top; how do I get dried blood stain out without using bleach?

By sonya from Australia

Answer this Question

My teenage granddaughter spent the weekend with me and left me with my most loved quilt stained with blood. I'm not talking about just a little bit of blood, it is a extra large area of blood. I didn't know it was on the quilt until after it was already dry. I wanted to cry, but would never hurt her feelings.

I told her it's fine and that I would find a way to get it out. All I had at home was Max strength Spray and Wash. I sprayed it really good with that and it did absolutely nothing. So, do yall think I can rinse just that area in cold water, let it dry and then try the peroxide?

Answer this Question

How do I remove blood stains from cotton material?

By Merinda G.

Answer this Question

How do I get dried blood off of a white top? I don't have any peroxide handy either. I need to clean it asap. I got blood on one of my favorite shirts when I went for a tattoo two months ago and I can't get the stain off. Someone help please.

Sako from England

Answers

Best Answer

I've ALWAYS had the best of luck making a paste of white vinegar and baking soda, rubbing it in and letting sit for 15 - 20 mins. Even if it (the blood) has dried.

By larry. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My dad was a butcher, and would come home with blood stains on his clothing all the time. My mom bought the powder meat tenderizer you put on tough cuts of meat( it dissolves some of the protein chains making it easier to chew. Blood being protein based will be dissolved too) and made a paste for the really bad spots and made a liquid spray she kept in a small spray bottle for every thing else. She used like a teaspoon or so for the liquid in the bottle. Worked like magic too. The liquid also worked to stop bee sting pain too. It is protein based too.

Best Answer

For years I've used 409 Formula cleaner. DO NOT dilute it....just pour it right onto the blood spot and rub fabric together until it comes out, then wash. If it doesn't come out on the first try, keep repeating until you can barely see the spot. Throw in the wash and it should be gone. After years of the MONTHLY CYCLE that we women all go through I found this to work the fastest & the best. P.S. You should use rubber gloves for the rubbing part, as it is strong and can break out the skin.

Answer this Question

How do you get dried blood out of a cotton mattress protector? Many thanks.

By Margaret Dillon from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Answer this Question

How can I remove a dried, set in blood stain on a white linen shirt? So far I have tried cold water, white vinegar, and ammonia. None have worked. I have a bleach pen, but am afraid it will make a hole in the fabric.

By Cisco's Mom

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 4, 2013
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Blood-Stains-from-Clothing-and-Fabric.html