Removing Blood Stains from White Clothes

My husband went fishing the other day, and came home with fish blood stained through his jeans to his underwear and on his white T-shirt. I washed the whites in bleach and dried them, but the stains were still there.

I had a thought about how I used peroxide the other day to whiten my teeth. So I got the white T-shirt an underwear out, poured peroxide on the blood stains, and went about my daily chores. When I came back to check on the clothes, the stains were completely gone. An old trick I almost forgot about worked where bleach did not.

By Sandra B. from Jefferson, OH

I have always tried to wash out blood stains in cold water with some soap before putting them in the washing machine. Now, I will use peroxide. Thanks

Table salt (sodium chloride) will also get blood stains out of clothing. The salt hemolyzes (breaks open) the red blood cells. Just soak the blood stained clothes in a salt and water mixture.

I've used Awsome (a spray, I get it from Dollar General) and it takes blood and pretty much every other stain out. I often wear white shirts. Being diabetic, I do many finger sticks every day. Sometimes, for whatever reason, I don't get just a drop of blood, but the blood sprays all over me. On the white shirts of course. I've had week old spots on a shirt that I had forgotten about, sprayed it with Awsome, and washed as usual, not using any Oxyclean or bleach in the water...and the spots are all gone.

FYI...the paramedics who attended my toddler son (who got the end of his pinky finger cut off in the door when his two year old sister shut the door with his finger in the hinge) told me to use peroxide but upon washing it, the shirt fell apart. It was cotton. Thankfully, the manufacturer of the shirt (since it was quite costly) sent me a brand new one.