Removing Blood Stains

How do you get dried blood out of a cotton mattress protector? Many thanks.

By Margaret from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Best Answer

The hydrogen peroxide does work perfectly. You may need to get a bucket or plastic bowl and let it sit in the hydrogen peroxide overnight, keeping it wet. It works better to let it soak. It willl not hurt the fabric. However, if you ever have a fabric with color, stay with it to make sure it doesn't bleach it out. All washable fabrics are usually very safe with this, but I did ruin one shirt by letting it sit too long.

Try white vinegar.

I would use hydrogen peroxide.

Anonymous

Ditto on hydrogen peroxide. The 3% volume in the brown bottles that you can get at just about any store.

How do I remove a blood stain from the mattress cover? Mattress covers are very expensive and I just don't want to throw away. Any suggestions? Thank you.

By swasti

Answers:

Removing Blood Stains

hydrogen peroxide (11/25/2009)

By notwrong

Removing Blood Stains

Go and get some pet enzyme spray. It dissolves and processes organic stains, including blood. Store brands are less. (11/25/2009)

By PIKKA

Removing Blood Stains

Hydrogen peroxide is the secret. Put a clean rag under the mattress pad and then just pour some peroxide on the blood. Watch it disappear right before your eyes! (11/25/2009)

By emeraldeagle68

Removing Blood Stains

Definitely hydrogen peroxide, cheap and effective. Ambulance attendants keep it on hand for that very purpose. (11/25/2009)

By Nikki66

Removing Blood Stains

Meat tenderizer like Adolf's. I would get a mattress cover despite the cost because they aren't nearly as expensive as a mattress -- I just googled "mattress cover" and clicked on Shopping - 3M has them $6 new.
www.essortment.com/home/simplemattress_skif.htm
Scotchguard too for after you get the stain removed.

I still have a bed that has a mattress cover my mom made from "Ticking".It's the blue/white (sometimes red or black and white) stripped heavy fabric like denim used alot for bedding until crafters/seamstresses started using it to make clothing and so on. (11/28/2009)

By melody_yesterday

Removing Blood Stains

Try dabbing it with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball as blood is a protein base this will react to it and bubble up and take it up easy. (11/29/2009)

By dcsprsmm

Removing Blood Stains

If the stain has not had a chance to set, I have had excellent luck with soaking stuff in shampoo. After the stain is mostly out, then I toss it in the washer with vinegar and it comes out sparkling clean. For set in stains, hydrogen peroxide works well. (12/06/2009)

By crazyliblady

What is the quickest, most economical way to completely get the set-in blood stains out of my cotton bedding? Dark purple sheets, cream covers, and white mattress pad.

Thank you,
JOEAGLE from Somerset, KY

Answers:

Removing Blood Stains

I use peroxide, straight. When it stops foaming, add some more, repeat a few times, then launder as usual. (12/28/2006)

By beanygurl

Removing Blood Stains

A spray bottle of raw bleach sprayed on some types of carpet will remove blood without taking color out (use a test spot first).
(01/07/2009)

By Don

Blood stains are set by hot water so soak the item in cold water and then launder it. If the item is non-washable, sponge on cold water and a mild laundry or dish soap.

By Robin

Answers:

Removing Blood Stains

An old hospital trick is to use Hydorgen Peroxide on the stain. Sometimes even if the stain is old it will get it out. (11/18/2004)

By JMRoss

Removing Blood Stains

Soaking Blood stained clothing in cold water and then laundering works well for fresh Blood stains. If the Blood has dried or set you will need to soak the item in enzyme based detergent for as long as possible before laundering. I use "Nappy San Plus" for removing a wide variety of tough stains as it is safe to use on most fabrics and coloursafe items and it is very effective. (11/19/2004)

By Jim

Removing Blood Stains

I agree, the best thing for removing old blood stains (or fresh) is straight hydrogen peroxide! It's cheap and works even if you have previously washed and dried an item!!! (11/26/2004)

By Melinda

Removing Blood Stains

If you have a blood stain on any kind of fabric just spray it with cold water and then sprinkle salt liberally over the stain. Give it a bit of time to dry and when it is just a little damp rub the salt over the stain with very strong solid circular motions. Then let the salt dry completely and shake the salt off. The stain should have disappeared or at least faded. Sometimes it needs to be done a few times. Even soaking it in salty water works as long as you allow normal drying time rather than using a dryer but i find placing salt on the stain works best. (11/05/2006)

By Skye