Removing Ink from Walls

My 2 year old marked up all the walls in the apartment with pen and permanent marker. How do I remove it from flat painted walls?

By Ashley from WalledLake, MI

Short of replacing the walls you won't remove them, but you can paint over them. Most paints will simply bleed through so use a product called "Killz". Use it like you would any primer..paint over the effected areas with killz then when it dries paint as usual. Killz is available almost anywhere that normal house paint is sold.. It's kind of expensive, but sure beats 40 coats of normal paint.
That's the only and the best solution.

Anonymous

Killz dont exist where i live no one ever heard of it

You may need to go over the wall with Kilz more than once in the marked areas. We painted wood paneling and it needed three coats to cover the dark lines in the panels, so don't give up.

As YeahYeah stated, "It's kind of expensive, but sure beats 40 coats of normal paint."

You may need to go over the wall with Kilz more than once in the marked areas. We painted wood paneling and it needed three coats to cover the dark lines in the panels, so don't give up. As YeahYeah stated, "It's kind of expensive, but sure beats 40 coats of normal paint."

Anonymous

Before painting try a regular pencil eraser. The kind that we're all familiar with that are the pink color block type not attached to a pencil. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's worth the try ;-)

Try spraying the ink with hairspray. This has worked for me some times! HTH Mary Lou

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It works.

Anonymous

No the magic erase doesn't work. I have tried it

To get markers off walls I use toothpaste, it sounds weird but it works. Not sure about pen.

Thanks, toothpaste removed blue biro mark from the walls!

Anonymous

what type of toothpaste

"OH MY GOSH" THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!! IT TOOK SOME ELBOW GREASE, BUT IT TOOK PERMANENT MARKER OFF MY WIFE'S REFRIGERATOR THAT'S BEEN ON THERE FOR YEARS.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. YO SHOULD GET A REWARD FOR THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION. MAY ALLAH BLESS YOU!!!

Anonymous

if u hear that vinegar gets pen off walls its true!!!

I tried vinegar and it did not work

Anonymous

My 2 year old did it I used Mr clean lemon bleach spray it came right off

Hair spray

I tried hair spray and all sorts of other things that didn't work. But toothpaste and ELBOW GREASE did the job perfectly. It took some time but nothing good comes easy. This MARKER was allso on this REFRIGERATOR for over a year with many attempts to remove it.

So it was really grounded into the paint. It took me around an hour of rubbing in a circular motion to remove the marker. Now my wife's refrigerator looks like new again. The toothpaste actually polished it too!!