Protect Seedlings With Recycled Plastic Bottles

7
Share
1
Save
Follow
Print

I just planted my garden for this year. I had started the plants indoors, and we live in the Panhandle of Texas where we get LOTS of wind. I planted these small delicate plants on a very nice day. Then, of course, this morning the wind started blowing. I'm concerned the small plants will be blown to death, and I'll be out there with nothing left in my garden.

So, I got some 2 liter bottles that I had in my recycling bin. I also had some water bottles saved for recycling too. I cut the bottom and the top off and slid them down over my small delicate plants to protect them from the wind. They will still receive the light and I can still water them. This is working great for these plants.

By Nana from Panhandle of Texas

I had trouble with the bottles blowing away and the bottom of the bottles curling up. I used a hole punch to put holes on opposite sides of the bottle and then used earth staples to hold the bottles down. This has made a big difference because I didn't have to push the bottles down so far in the dirt and the plants could grow larger before the bottles had to be removed.

Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalMay 4, 2010
👒
👔
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf93990334.tip.html