Cleaning "Disposable" Straws

"Disposable" straws need not be! To clean, simply use a chenille stem (these were called "pipe cleaners" when I was a kid). I've seen the stems in the craft section of many stores. I bought a package of 50 at the dollar store.

By Leann D

I always reuse drinking straws, but I don't know why you would need to use the pipe cleaners to clean them. I just wash them along with my dishes.
Save the pipe cleaners for crafting!

By Lynne from Albuquerque (Guest Post)

Why didn't I think of this!? Yes, if the only thing you drink with the straws is water and soda, then maybe you don't need to clean the insides of the straw. But if you drink milk, fruit shakes, and other more "sticky" thick stuff like we do, the insides of the straws can get pretty gunky.

Especially if your kids forget to put the straws into the sink right away and the drink dries and hardens inside the straw!

I put them on the spokes that divide the glasses in my dishwasher, they survive the cycle and are clean and sanitized.