Parenting

Getting Babies to Sleep

Category Parenting

Tips for getting a baby to sleep. Post your ideas.

I have a 3 month old son and I was losing a lot of sleep in the first month, My husband suggested putting him in his car seat/carrier at night because he slept longer when he was in it.

It worked like a charm and now he sleeps all night in his bassinet.

By Julie

well its been a few years since I've had babies,
but I remember walking the floors with all 4 of my kids
yes riding in a car works great, !
I use to run the sweeper, at 9 p.m. and we both sleepuntil 4 am,
also putting a car carrier "on" the dryer while its running, worked great too.
but I think the best thing that worked for us was a tablespoon of mashed taters or baby oatmeal or rice,
it didnt hurt my kids since my 12 year old is now 6 foot 4 inch tall
Cindy from In

try giving a light oil massage. Some have also found that by giving a bath /sponge bath before sleep helps too.

I know rocking worked well for my mom (she wore out the springs of her glider rocker with my older bro--twice!).

Our youngest of 5 turned out to be our "fussiest". We used one of those front packs (she liked to be turned outward, so we had to find one made for that) to carry her during the day/evening. She would sleep hanging in it--quite a sight!

She's still not a great sleeper (runs in the family I think--neither am I!!), but we just do what works--usually she ends up between us in bed 1/2 way thru the nite (Amer. Acad. of Pediatrics now saying that this is "okay", so long as no heavy comforters, big pillows, or drugged parents!!). In the bigger picture, we are all happier because at least we are sleeping. And she's a totally happy, independent little gal!

You're going to think I'm crazy, as I thought my grandmother was crazy when she gave me this secret: Give your baby a bath at night, right before going to sleep, and put in the water where you bathe your baby 2 or 3 clean and fresh lettuce leaves. Leave them there while you bathe the baby and discard them when you're finished. I guarantee your baby will sleep "just like a baby"!!!!

My daughter could never get her son since birth to go to bed to sleep. She was given a take along swing that operates on batteries and lights up with music. Well that did the trick when he was younger. Now at 22 mths old and weighs 22 lbs. we took the batteries out and he swings himself to sleep every night. He has done this for some time now too. But he still will not sleep in his bed. I joke with her and said he will be swinging until he is 15 and sleeping with mom... But the baby swings do help get them to sleep.

When my daughter was 2-3 months old the best thing we found to get her to sleep was to put her in her car seat, in the bathroom and we turned on the exhaust fan. This worked like a charm. She sleeps in her bed now, but we usually have a register booster (fan) running in her room to drown out other noise in the house.

My little girl is fifteen months old. I got into the BAD BAD habit of putting her to sleep in the pram. So i decided it was time to get her to sleep by herself. I put her in the cot, turned of the light, wound up the mobile and left the room. After a week long battle that included tears, screaming and late nights it has finally worked! My advice is a night light and a musical mobile it worked for me!