Recipes Using Bagels

Sandwiches, mini pizzas, or with spreads, there are a variety of ways to prepare bagels. This page contains recipes using bagels.

I love the flavor combination of the ingredients for this sandwich and usually switch up how much of some of the ingredients used and hence why I suggest 'to taste'. Okay, I also happen to slather my bagels with the cream cheese mixture so please feel free to cut those amounts, or increase, if need be too.

• 1 large bagel, split and toasted
  • 3 tbsp cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 tbsp feta, crumbled
  • 1/4 tsp crushed garlic
  • Roma tomato, thinly sliced, to taste
  • cucumber, thinly sliced, to taste
  • red onion, thinly sliced, to taste
  • fresh basil, chopped, to taste

Directions:

Mix together the cream cheese, feta and garlic in a small bowl, spread the cream cheese mixture on both bagel halves, top one of the halves tomato, cucumber and onion slices, sprinkle with basil, top with the other bagel half and serve.

Tasty for breakfast, a snack, lunch or as appetizers :-)

Directions:

Cut bagels in half horizontally (The bags of mini bagels I buy are already cut). Spread both cut sides with cream cheese.

Layer the ham, onion, cheese and lettuce on bottom half of the bagel. Cover with bagel top. You can cut into halves or quarters to serve as appetizers.

Serve immediately or wrap the bites in plastic wrap. They refrigerate well for up to 24 hours.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

• 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
  • 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 2 bagels, split
  • 6 slices of thin sliced deli style ham of choice

Directions:

Mix the cream cheese, mustard, and honey in a small bowl.

Spread cream cheese mixture over cut sides of bagel halves, top two halves evenly with ham, top with remaining two halves, and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

This page contains pizza bagel recipes. A quick way to make individual pizzas is to make a pizza bagel. You can even make a variety of flavors to please the whole family.

Pizza Bagels

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I like using sesame bagels with this flavor combination the best but plain bagels are good too. The amount of cucumber and radishes you use for this recipe will depend on how much each person likes to load their bagels ;-)

Also, using a mandolin slicer is perfect for slicing the radishes and cucumber. Any unused cream cheese can be stored, refrigerated, for up to a week.

• Cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
  • Radishes, thinly sliced
  • Bagels, split, toasted if desired
  • 8 oz whipped cream cheese
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped, or more to taste

Directions:

Thoroughly mix the cream cheese and cilantro.

Spread the inside of both sides of each bagel, top the bottom side of each bagel with cucumber and radish slices, top with top side of bagel and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

• 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 2 tsp. Accent
  • 1 (5 oz.) can corned beef, minced
  • 2 tsp. dill weed
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced
  • bagel pieces

Directions:

Mix all of the ingredients together and serve with bagel pieces. This keeps for several days in the refrigerator.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bagel slices on baking sheet. In small bowl, combine oil and garlic; brush onto slices. Sprinkle with cheese.

In food processor, blend all of the above ingredients (except bagels). Chill at least 2 hours. Toast bagels, cut into bite-sized pieces. Serve with the dip.

My daughter has just come back from a trip to New York and brought me back a bag of New York bagels. I put them in the freezer but I have no idea what to do with them. How do you eat them, toasted or no? Do you put fillings in between or just toppings on each half? I'm vegetarian, please could anybody tell me what to do with them? They are just plain bagels with poppy seeds on top.

Cettina

Answers

For Breakfast I toast mine and put cream cheese on each slice (recommended by a nurse for long term energy). I also make sandwiches with anything I can find. You just have to experiment to see what you like.

this is no wrong way to eat a bagel......here are a few different ways to try.......
just slice and toast(or not toasted) but if they are frozen, they may taste better toasted after defrosted......and cream cheese the flat halves. You may chose peanut butter, butter and jelly, hummus, or use as bread for sandwiches. Use your imagination anything is possible!!!!
Or, slice vertically into 4 Chunks...and taste different varieties and see which you prefer the best@

Well! I have a couple of ideas. My favorite is toasted (on cut side) with strawberry cream cheese for breakfast. But any other kind is great too... or with butter and jelly, or peanut butter. You can also add tomato/pizza sauce with mozzarella cheese (and veggies?) and put it under a broiler for a minute or two. (bagel bite)
Just a few ideas, I have more, but they're not coming to my brain just yet :) enjoy!

I love to slice them thin into at least 4 slices, brush with melted butter or oive oil, sprinkle with different spices from onion powder to cinnamon, put under the broiler until browned, turn over repeat with butter/oil and spices and broil again for bagel chips.

There are so many things you can do with Bagels, cut them in half and toast them or don't and add cream cheese or just butter and jelly if you like.. I like them toasted and get creative with melted cheese and tomato bagel sandwich, my favorite is Chicken salad w/mayonaise, lettuce and tomato on a raisin bagel toasted.. Enjoy!!!

I like to put a microwaved egg, slice of ham,tomato and cheese on a sliced bagel and then put it into the toaster oven. Yum!

My FAVORITE flavor is poppy seed, as long as they are made the right way. REAL bagels, are small dense and chewy (not big, fluffy and full of air, sorry Safeway, Raley's/Nob Hill, Albertsons, Fry's, etc.). I like them toasted all the way around, this bagel toaster phenom (only toasting the cut side) is way beyond me. A little butter and some cream cheese, heaven! But only butter will do, cream cheese alone will do too.

A Bagel Bakery Poppy seed (from Santa Cruz, CA) with hummus (extra garlic please), fresh tomato, thin slice of swiss, thin slivers of red onion, lots of sprouts HEAVEN!!!!!! But then ya' gotta grow up in Santa Cruz to appreciate that one!

or you can make egg salad and toast your bagel
put egg salad in middle and YUM

or add cream cheese, tomatoe and onion slice

oh to have a nice toasted New York Bagel there is
no comparison....

Basically, anything you can do with bread, you can do with a bagel. I am a native New Yorker who is living in Texas. What I wouldn't do for a great NY bagel!!!! There is a chain of bagel stores in NY that they make the best chicken salad on a bagel sandwich!!!!! You can toast them or not. Either way, they are delicious!!!!

I'm looking for ways to use bagels that are a few days old. Has anyone used them in a breakfast casserole type of a recipe or bread pudding or stuffing, etc.? I'd love to have recipes or direct me to a Website that might have some ideas.

Please help, me as I'm trying to be frugal on a limited income.

Thanks,
Eva

Answers

Freeze them (well wrapped) while fresh.
You can also steam them for a few minutes to liven them up : )

I BAKE MY OWN BREAD WHICH HAS NO PRESERVATIVES. I USE STALE BREAD TO MAKE BREAD PUDDING AND BREAKFAST CASSEROLES.

BREAD PUDDING

FILL BUTTERED CASSEROLE WITH BITE SIZE PIECES OF STALE BREAD.
BEAT 4 EGGS
ADD 1 C SUGAR
1 t CINNAMON (OPTIONAL)
1/2 C RAISINS (OPTIONAL)
1 t VANILLA
2 CUPS MILK
1 t SALT

POUR OVER BREAD PIECES AND SPRINKLE WITH MORE SUGAR& CINNAMON AFTER BREAD HAS SOAKED UP ALL LIQUID.
BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL FIRM AND GOLDEN ON TOP.

SERVE WARM WITH LEMON CURD, BOURBAN SAUCE OR NOTHING AT ALL. MY 83 YEAR OLD DADDY LIKES IT WITH HALF N HALF OR ICE CREAM WHILE IT'S STILL WARM.

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

FILL BUTTERED CASSEROLE DISH WITH STALE BREAD CUBES.
ADD CUBED HAM OR COOKED SAUSAGE - BROKEN PIECES OF BACON
ADD SHREDDED CHEDDER CHEESE
TOSS WITH BREAD CRUMBS.

BEAT 6 EGGS AND 1 CUP MILK WITH SALT AND PEPPER

POUR OVER BREAD MIXTURE AND TOSS TO COAT WITH EGG MIXTURE. AFTER BREAD HAS SOAKED UP ALL LIQUID BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL FIRM. TOP WITH MORE CHEESE AND RETURN TO OVEN UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED AND BUBBLING.

YOU CAN SAUTE ONIONS, PEPPERS (HOT OR SWEET) AND ADD TO BREAD MIX BEFORE ADDING EGG MIXTURE AND THIS ADDS EXTRA PIZZAZ AS WELL.

I SERVE THIS WITH FRESH FRUIT OR SLICED TOMATOES - JUICE AND COFFEE. MAKES A GREAT EVENING MEAL TOO. GREAT FOR FEEDING A BUNCH FOR A LITTLE MONEY.

GARLIC CROUTONS

CUBED STALE BREAD OF ANY KIND

MIX TOGETHER:
1 STICK BUTTER MELTED
MINCED GARLIC TO TASTE (I USE 4 CLOVES)
1 TEASPOON SALT
DRIZZLE OVER BREAD CUBES AND TOSS UNTIL COATED. ADD HERBS OF YOUR CHOICE OR NOT - GREAT AS IS.

PLACE ON NON-STICK COOKIE SHEET IN A SINGLE LAYER AND BAKE AT 425 UNTIL TOASTED GOLDEN. WATCH CLOSELY SO IT DOESN'T BURN. CAN BE STORED IN A ZIP LOCK BAG FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

GREAT ON SALADS OR SOUP

PUT IN A BLENDER AND MAKE BREAD CRUMBS WITH HERBS OF CHOICE AND A LITTLE OLIVE OIL - BAKE AS A TOPPING ON YOUR FAVORITE CASSEROLE FOR ADDED FLAVOR AND CRISPINESS.

USE AS BREAD CRUMBS IN YOUR FAVORITE MEAT LOAF OR MEAT BALL RECIPE OR TO COAT CHICKEN OR PORK CHOPS FOR A CRISPY COATING AFTER YOU DIP IN FLOUR AND EGG WASH.

Bagel Pudding Recipe source: Unknown

1 Cinnamon raisin bagel (you could use plain and add cinnamon and raisins)
1 egg
3/4 c milk or 1/2 & 1/2
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter/margarine-melted
1 Tbsp vanilla

Cut bagel into 1/2 inch cubes to obtain 1 1/2 cups. Beat egg, stir in milk, sugar, butter and vanilla. Heat slowly until just warm, stir in bagel cubes. Cover and place in refrigerator 30 minutes or more, stirring once or twice.

Pour into small buttered casserole dish, cover with foil. Bake at 325F for 25-30 minutes. Test center for doneness. Serve hot with whipped cream flavored with vanilla.

ENJOY!

You could make bagel chips.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray 2 baking sheets with regular or olive oil cooking spray.

Cut bagels in half vertically, then cut into thin rounds, or stand on cut ends and slice into thin half circles. Place on baking sheets and spray with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes or till crispy.

You can also sprinkle with garlic powder and any herb you like after spraying or be really bad and skip the spray and brush each side with garlic butter before baking! This works with pita bread and tortillas too.

Bagel Pudding Recipe source: Unknown

1 egg
3/4 c milk or 1/2 & 1/2
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter/margarine-melted
1 Tbsp vanilla

ENJOY!

Day old bagels in our house, usually means that they get toasted rather than eaten fresh. But aside from that, we use them to make pizza - Toast them first, then add pizza sauce, mozzarella cheeses, and your favorite toppings. Put in the oven or under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese. The possibilities are endless. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to use blueberry or cinnamon bagels, but I guess these would work too, if you wanted to use maybe a creamy cheese and a fruit topping....

I especially like blueberry or cinnamon raisin bagels warmed in the microwave, buttered and filled with bacon and egg for a breakfast sandwich.

I have also cut them up and put in my food processor or blender to make bread crumbs.

I keep our bagels in the refrigerators since there is no way that we can eat 6 or 8 bagels in 24 hours as there is only my hubby & myself. They will last for a few weeks & if for some reason you think they won't get eaten in that amount of time, freeze them.

Bagels last for awhile so they wouldnt be stale or bad in just a few days. I would freeze them if you can't use them right away.

I have used a few day old bagels as the bread with dinner at times.

What I did to the bagels was this:

Get a frying pan out. Turn it to medium heat.

Put a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, coat the bottom of the pan.

Cut the bagels in 1/2, then butter them.

Place the butter bagels in the pan. Let them crisp until golden brown.

The Garlic, The Everything and Plain bagels go VERY well with pasta!

We love baked bagels. Half your bagels and cover with cream cheese. Add a thin slice of ham(any kind will do. we like turkey ham.) Put sprouts any kind we prefer alfalfa though. Cover with a slice of american, cheddar or your choice of cheese. Nummmmmmmmy
Bake on 350* for about 8 minutes. Till cheeses melt.

We have most of these ingredients on hand so it is an easy, fast and inexpensive way to feed family. Of course hubby eats more then one. You can add what ever to it to make up your meal.

I read children should always eat potatoes, so we have them almost every day. We have potato farmers living up north a bit so we buy 50 to 100 lb at a time for about $8.00 a bag. If you bake them and slice in half almost all the way through, dig out the potato and mix like you would mashed potatoes. I add a small amount of bacon/bits, veggie of choice to help expand the meal. The kids really like this for dinner.

Baked squashes any kind you like are great and oven is on.
I try to do as much with the oven at that time as I can. It helps cut on cost and baking a few extra potatoes are great for fried potatoes the next day with eggs.