General AdviceConsumer Advice

Removing Gilded Writing from a Mug

I bought a figural mug for a gift from a second hand store. It has a name inscribed in gold on it that I want to remove as it is not anything close to the name of the person I want to give it to. I'm 85% sure the gild is over the original glaze so I should be able to take it off, but nail polish remover didn't work and scraping at it with a blade did next to nothing. There's a break in the middle of one letter and at the start of another letter, which is why I think it's over the original glaze, though I cannot feel a raised surface, so I'm not as sure as I'd like to be. How do I remove this gilding from the mug if it's over the glaze?

By nekocat from OR

When I china painted, we used to remove overglaze with a product called Whink, a lye solution, I believe, It may remove the name. Try a little area first. Please use caution and rubber gloves. I hope this helps.

Thank you, you have given me some hope! I have heard of it, or have seen it, I believe, there is a cleanser of some sort out there either with or w/o the h, I'll have to recheck the cleanser shelf at my store. Hope it works!