Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

What is a safe alternative to dry special diet foods like Science Diet, if your puppy (now 6 months old) seems to be having allergies to it? He seems to be always chewing at his under belly and inner thighs. Thanks. This is my first small breed puppy and we want him to live a long and healthy life with us. Our grandsons love him to pieces.

By Sue 1 from Van, BC

Best Answer

For tens of thousands of years, dogs ate the same foods their owners ate. Dry dog food wasn't invented until 1860 (just 140 years ago), but through clever marketing, many people now believe you should only feed your dogs commercial dog food. A lot of the dog foods marketed today contain many ingredients that can cause allergic reactions in dogs, and the foods that are hypoallergenic are very expensive. Here is a site you can go to to get recipes for making your own pet food, as well as a list of foods to avoid:
http://allrecip  food/Detail.aspx

Best Answer

My dog used to scratch and chew herself raw. This is what helps. Throw chicken in a pot boil it up. When cooked, pull the meat off the bones chop it up and add 2 cups of brown rice.

If you want you can throw in some cooked peas or carrots (both). Theres nothing wrong with feeding your dog "people" food, they think they're people, don'they.

I cook for my fur babies. My jack Russell mix and Yorkie have health problems. Yorkie is diabetic and went blind, Jack has food allergies. I buy40 lbs chicken leg quarters a month $20.00 separate it into 5 qt bags and freeze, after I cook it. I use the broth for us.
I take a bag out and mix with mac and cheese which they love lasts 4.5 days for 2. Sometimes I buy hamb when it's on sale mix it with white acre peas and small diced potatoes Happy babies

Best Answer

Natural Balance is one of the best dog foods on the market, way better than science diet. And most of their selection is Limited Ingredient Formulated. I use to work at a pet store and switched tons of people to this food who were buying prescription diet foods and it was not only cheaper for them but their dogs did better on it then the prescription brand.

**A secret to saving a buck too is go to a pet supplies plus or a tractor supplies plus they sell this brand for pretty cheap take a photo of the price sign then go to a Petco. They will not only price match it for the cheaper price but if you buy 10 bags in 12 months they mail you a coupon for a free bag.

Oops! In my previous post, I wrote that dog food was invented 140 years, That should have been 150 years.

My schnauzer had the same problem and found that "good" brands like Science Diet were not so good. I switched her to Canidae and later in life to Blue Buffalo because of health problems. When I switched her, the change was immediate. Also, fish oil on the food would be a big help.

I love wellness pet food. Try that. Although Vets recommend science diet, don't give in. Veterinarians are not pet food nutritionists.