AdviceCleaning

Cleaning a Polyurethane Rain Jacket

I have a rain jacket that looks like fabric but is mostly polyurethane and it can't be laundered or dry cleaned. Any ideas on what I could use to sponge clean it with that wouldn't require rinsing and would make it smell nice? (It has no stains, just needs some freshening.)

Claudia

By Linda (Guest Post)

Hi try 1/4 c. borax , 1T.dish soap, 1c. warm water , mix with a fork and dip sponge or cloth and it cleans beautifully on laundry and even small upholstry stains.

If there are no stains, try one of these ideas: Tumble in dryer set on air dry for about 30 minutes with two dryer sheets in light fragrance; or, spray Febreeze on a dryer sheet and tumble as above. This also works for freshening jackets, etc. that have been treated to withstand rain--without removing the treatment.

By sandy (Guest Post)

I don't understand why it couldn't be laundered in cold water. it is made to withstand the rain. Just put in washing machine with cold water and maybe a little baking soda.

By (Guest Post)

how about the scented windex/?/ try that

By Fran (Guest Post)

I have another question re: cleaning a poluurethane jacket. Daughter in-law has jacket that we think got finger painted with diaper rash cream. Any suggestions on removing this?

Thanks

By richmondred (Guest Post)

Got a question on this subject as well. I just received a relatively new polyurethane rain jacket and just spotted some "silver metallic paint'--partly on the shoulder and a small short line on the sleeve--broke my heart too! Wouldn't you know I tried it on and it looks KILLER on me! Please help me remove the paint stain without messing up my new jacket. You're the best! Thank you so very much.

By (Guest Post)

You know, I didn't find much help here for my newest thrift store find. Just bought an evening bag for $.25! Needs a good cleaning though.
The most helpful thing I saw was the bit about being "rainproof."
Why, of course! Polyurethene is very durable. I took a stiff nail brush and some warm sudsy water. Working away at the dust and stains, I was able to get it all clean. A couple of stubborn ones required coaxing with a fingernail, but nothing stronger.

Wiped clean and dry with a soft towel, my new bag is beautiful.