Painting Exterior Brick?

I would like to paint our existing interlocking red brick ground-level patio (approx. 20 feet x 8 feet). I have grown tired of the red, but would rather paint than replace.

Any advice on whether painting is feasible (part of the patio is protected by an upper deck; part is open to the elements) and if feasible, I'm looking for advice on the best process to follow to paint. Thanks!

By Karen from Calgary, AB

Painting bricks that are to the weather is not a good idea. However, if that is your desire I would lift up a couple of bricks in a traveled area that is unprotected to the weather and paint them color of your choice. Then replace them and see how they stand up to the traffic and weather. If the results are poor then just turn the bricks over to the natural red side and place them back in their slots.

First you need to power wash the brick. You can probably rent a power-washer at your local hardware or rental store. Let the brick dry thoroughly for a couple of days, and then fill in any cracks in the mortar with caulk.

Because there are many different types of bricks, it is important to get an acrylic primer and paint designed specifically for brick and masonry products, such as Drylock. Good luck!

I would not paint the brick as it will become a maintenance headache, particularly because it's a horizontal surface that people will be walking on.

I'm also in Calgary, Karen, and experimenting this year with whitewash (on my gound-level back deck). Given the size of mine (75 x 8), I was looking for something not only economical but also environmentally friendly. Whitewash answers both, but can also be tinted (if you don't want stark white).

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingMay 10, 2009
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf97797462.tip.html