Home RemediesHealth & Beauty

Protecting a Hurt Finger

I recently injured my right thumb and the nail cracked pretty far into the nail. I was able to keep it intact with some superglue and paper bandages. I then painted it, and went on hoping the nail would re-attach to the bed. After three weeks however, it wasn't working.

I was closing up an empty unit in my complex last night, and hit the nail on the wall. I had to go back and be around plaster dust, dirt and mold. I couldn't afford finger cots at $5.19 for 20, so I went into thrifty mode! With bandages and the thumb from a pair of gloves that no longer kept out water, I was able to do what I had to all day. My thumb never even got wet much less dirty.

If you have a pair of gloves that no longer work for you, cut off the fingers that are intact and keep them in a ziplock bag for times just like this. Heck, they will no doubt work for toes, too! They would even work for small injured dogs or cats paws.

This was a real cool to me, so I am hoping you will be able to use it, too.

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

BTW, that was suppose to be "coup"...having come down with the fat finger syndrome!

What a great idea! I get so frustrated with bandaids that always fall off. Thanks!