Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

What is going on with my stove top? I recently moved and my new place has a white electric stove top that's seamless (ie., completely flat surfaced). The problem is, whenever I use it, huge black marks (they look like burn marks) show up on the stovetop. I thought it was from my cheap pots and pans so I got new ones and it did no good!

What is going on? And how can I clean them?

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Use an old credit card or other such plastic to scrape any burned on residue. At Walmart a product called Weiman glass cook top cleaner in a 15oz bottle is what is good for cleaning the glass top. Just reapply if it doesn't all come off the first time around.

Also just in case you are not aware of the type of pots and pans to use on glass; don't use teflon on high heat or aluminum pans. Stainless steel is recommended and no porcelain coated pans (they are usually speckled over another color) or cast iron. You can actually pit the glass stove top if cooking with these and who knows what temperature is safe for using.

I have the same stove. It's a ceramic stove top. It will stain each time you use it, but it is not burn marks. Do not scrape it. Try a Mr. Clean eraser which works quite well, and also a scotch brite scrubber for stubborn stains. There is also a cleaner for this that you can buy which cleans it easily.