Baby ItemsCrafts

Homemade Cover For Baby Wipe Case

How to make a cover for baby wipe case?

Ginger from Dublin, GA

There used to be one on simplicity.com for free under their classroom. I can't find it now though...They may have taken it down. Maybe a Google search.

Dear Ginger, I have been using the same 'baby wipes' box for years now. What I did was to decoupage printed fabric onto the plastic box, then I used a water-based sealer to protect it. It is best if you use 3+ coats of sealer as the box will be touched so often. Then I simply buy refill packages and put them into the original box. I actually don't have children but have a doggie that I groom several times a day and found that baby wipes were so much more economical to use than the puppy wipes. Hope this helps, Lisa

here is the homemde cover for a baby wipe case from simplicity.com
You will need:
1/2 yard of fabric, such as cotton, flannel or broadcloth
1/2 yard of coordinating lightweight fabric for lining
1/2 yard of 22" to 25" wide medium to heavyweight fusible interfacing
1/2 yard of 60" wide fleece fabric
One package of 1/2" wide double fold bias tape
One appliqué
Cutting Instructions:
Cut one rectangle of fabric, measuring 16" long by 10" wide.
Cut one rectangle of lining, measuring 16" long by 10" wide.
Cut one rectangle of interfacing, measuring 16" long by 10" wide.
Cut one rectangle of fleece, measuring 15" long by 9" wide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sewing Instructions:
1. Place the lining rectangle with the WRONG side up. Center fleece over the lining, leaving 1/2" excess showing from underneath all edges of fleece.
2. With glue side DOWN, place interfacing over the lining and fleece, matching all edges of the lining and interfacing. Fuse in place according to manufacturer"s directions. This fusing will hold fleece securely to the case lining.
3. Place the fabric and lining rectangles with RIGHT sides facing each other, matching all edges. Pin one short edge in place, and stitch this edge in a 1/2" seam.
4. Clip seam corners to reduce bulk, and then press the seam open.
5. Fold along the seam so that WRONG sides of the fabric and the lining are together, matching all remaining cut edges. Pin these edges together. Cut off the pinned corners in a rounded shape, as shown.

6. With the lining side facing you, turn the bottom of the case up 5 1/2", forming a pocket. Lightly press the fold to help hold it in place.
7. Open up one end of the bias tape and fold it under 3/8". Press this fold. Starting at one corner of the case, wrap the bias tape around the perimeter of the case, encasing the cut edges. When you get to the other corner, cut the bias tape 3/8" longer than needed. Open this end and fold under 3/8" before wrapping it around the remaining case edge. Be sure to wrap the bias tape securely around all layers.
Edge-stitch the bias tape in place, along the inner edge. This will not only give a clean finish to the edges of the case, it will also secure the side seams.

8. Sew or fuse the appliqué on the flap as shown.

I always preferred a ziploc bag. Not pretty, but very functional and it would fit into all tiny and odd spaces and the wipes did not dry out. I still use it.

I got the pattern from Simplicity.com just recently under free projects. They are very easy to make. I have made several for new great-great neices and great-great nephews. My daughter has an order in for my new granddaughter and I have an order from a great-great neice for the first 3 great baby. They all love them.

I modpodged assorted pictures from sewing catalogs onto an empty baby wipes container and sealed it after it was dry with polyurethane. Then used it to hold some miscellaneous sewing supplies.

What type of glue is best?