AdviceCrafts

Lord of the Rings Lampshade Ideas

Originally Posted in May

I'm making a lamp for my daughter's 16th birthday in September. She's really into Lord of the Rings, especially Legolas. I'm using a Legolas figure on a wooden base with the lamp post coming up under Legolas's coat. My problem is how should I decorate the lampshade? A regular white lampshade would look plain, but I'm devoid of any creative ideas. Anyone have some suggestions?

Cheryl from Missouri

Update:

Here is a photo of a lamp I made for my daughter's 16th birthday this coming September. She loves Legolas from Lord of the Rings. I used a "Ken as Legolas" doll attached by velcro, wrapped the base in burlap, added "One Ring To Rule Them All" quote on both sides and back of the lampshade, and added the entire poem to the front. Using the quote on the lampshade was an idea submitted by a Thriftyfun subscriber when I asked for ideas. Thanks for all the responses.

legolaslamp.jpg

Cheryl

Very cool idea! I wonder if you could put a map of middle earth on the lampshade somehow? The map is printed in most of the books. Or some passages from the book written in old style writing on the lamp shade might look neat. Please post a picture when you get it done!

You can decopage it with any paper you want, I'm sure one of the craft stores has scrapbooking paper or wrapping paper in that theme of Lord of the Rings. If you haven't done decopaging before it's very simple, you just buy Mod Podge at the craft store, apply it lightly with a brush, put the paper on and rub it smooth until it dries. Then put on another one or two coats afterwards to protect the finish. It comes in Gloss or Matte.

Thanks for the great feedback! I love the map idea. I think I'll try printing the map on transparency and attaching it to the shade with eyelets and leather laces.

If there is any Lord of the Rings material ou there, you could cover the lampshade with it. Spray adhesive would work just fine for this!

I'd decopage scenes from the movies on it & clearcoat it...

Attach simple and reasonably thin (1cm) gold braid to top and bottom and paint or paste on some gold rings (like 'the ring') on the middle panels.

I wish I had caught you're earlier request. This site: http://www.councilofelrond.com/ has a section on decorating Middle Earth style. Just go to the section titled The Last Homely House. A lot of the ideas can be done real cheap.