A Green Guide to Hair Dyes

Category Coloring
Many commercial hair dyes contain various chemicals and dyes. If you are looking for something a bit more ecofriendly and safer for you to use, there are other options. This is a guide about a green guide to hair dyes.

Most commercial hair dyes contain ridiculously toxic chemicals. Many contain additives (often unregulated) that have been linked to cancer, birth defects, and a host of other serious health problems. So why are people willing assume the risk? Because the truth of the matter is, these products work great and many people are simply unaware that safer alternatives exist. No hair dye is worth dying for. Here are some tips for safer hair coloring.

Look Out for the "Bad Guys"

Once you recognize some of the most toxic chemicals commonly found in hair dyes, you and/or your stylist will be able to make healthier choices when selecting hair color products.

Hair Color Tips To Dye For

A Word About Hair Bleaching

Lightening your hair is somewhat less harmful than dyeing it (in terms of exposure to chemicals). Lighteners usually contain hydrogen peroxide, which alone isn't so bad (it's eco-friendly, biodegradable, and can be used to clean counters and clothes). Unfortunately, the hydrogen peroxide in lighteners is commonly mixed with ammonia, which is a severe skin and lung irritant and considered highly toxic to aquatic life. For safer lightening, look for ammonia-free brands. An even safer alternative is to use lemon juice and sunshine to lighten your locks naturally.

I am so grateful for this news as I am severely allergic to all those mentionedinhair dyes,butwant to jaz up my hair a bit as it looks tired & a lot of white areas,I thankyou very much for the education as I am now aware never to use any hair dyes on the market and the other ideas some of them I can do very much appreciated.

Balance Deer Woman:)

One of the best things I've ever done for myself in my entire life was to quit coloring my hair with dye. My hair is charcoal and has silver highlights over the top just like frosting. I was very surprised when I saw the color underneath the dye. Also, the hairdresser cut my hair to highlight the coloring.

I have extremely sensitive skin and am allergic to preservatives in shampoo, shower gels, and liquid hand soap. My scalp is clear and clean now. I no longer have dandruff. I"ve discovered a new, younger me. Try it. You may be surprised too.

I will say this: PUNKY COLORS is so safe. It is more like a stain than a dye. There is very little odor(as with most temp colors) and lasts a long time. Their color selection is exotic and you must find a salon/store that sells it. I found mine on ebay. I love the stuff, and I have tried almost EVERY dye out there and compared what works.

Punky colors is FANTASTIC. For natural dye colors, the closest they have is black or red. Good Luck!

you can get black walnut powder on net, mix a little in water and comb on, leave for a while, rinse. It would make your hair look a little less gray: sort of light golden brown, I know someone whose hair was just about your color and that's what it did for her. Be careful as it does stain.

I have a friend who is a hairstylist who told me NEVER to use those boxed hair dyes. Explained to me about some kind of metal in the dyes that are really bad for you. I get my hair done professionally every 4 months with some higher quality hair dye that is safe. I wash my hair once a week (hair is healthier and doesn't fade as fast) and the dye is excellent quality so even after 4 months people say my hair still looks bright and amazing.

If you don't have the money, leave your hair in its natural state, don't opt for box hair dyes! Or get a hair stain (as someone mentioned, the punky colours) and dye a few pieces. I have bright red hair but do not use stains as they fade too quickly but could be nice for streaks!

What about the packaging? I'm looking for a hair dye that doesn't use plastic bottles. Or a hair color that I can use a little bit of and save the rest. I just feel awful every time I dye my hair because of the waste it generates.

I have never used dyes on my hair/scalp! Way too scary. But I do use natural Henna I get from India. My color is naturally auburn. The Henna makes my hair very shinny. I use lemon for high lighting. Sly

I've seen some hair dyes in the health food and herb stores. I am vain, and greyed early, so I've been using color, but am looking for some that is not toxic. Does anyone know any name brands that you can use or how to make your own?

Personally, I have covered slight greying with highlighting with simple hydrogen peroxide - plus mixture of red + blonde color shampoo and conditioner - leave in for 15-20 mins. before rinsing.

I have also touched up greying temples with plain srtong coffee and I am told that you can use/ tea/coffee/sage as a rinse in your hair - there are other old-time natural fixes, too - Use your greying as highlighting and bring up colors with rinses - I even saw using tomato juice/cranberry juice as a rinse for red hair!

What I'm aiming to do is to dye my hair ROY G BIV over time. So far I have green, red and blue in. I've realized the first time i dyed my hair on my own, that I was watching the chemical sin my hair dye wash down the drain. Instead I thought of a bright idea. Instead of washign my hair down a drain I can wash my hair out onto a white t-shirt!. So in the end I'll have cool colors in my hair and a cool new t-shirt that is colored by my hair dye!