Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

Today someone requested a tip for keeping salt and pepper shakers and sugar flowing. Put some rice in the shakers and it will keep the salt and pepper and sugar flowing. I do it and it works.

By Raymonde from North Bay, Ontario

Answers:

Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

Rice is great for salt and pepper but use a soda cracker in your sugar. That is what we did in our cafe. (09/25/2008)

By rosemarie

Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

I had forgotten all about this tip! When I was in my early 20's I worked at a restaurant on a lake serving Sunday brunch for extra money. The restaurant did this because of the moisture from the lake water in the air. Anyway, one morning a woman called me to her table and loudly and indignantly scolded me for maggots in the salt :-o I wanted to die of embarrassment! I was trying to explain it was rice but couldn't get a word in during her rant. God Bless the older gentleman at a table next to her who got her attention, opened the lid on his salt, dumped some out on the table and put a few pieces of rice in his mouth! LOL! (09/25/2008)

By Deeli

Is there no particular kind of salt shaker ( Wooden, Glass, Plastic or Metal) in which I can store salt to prevent it from absorbing moisture.

I always believed that if i stored salt in a Wooden Salt Shaker compared to a plastic Salt shaker my Salt would be in a better condition, is this belief wrong?

What is the best material for a Salt Shaker - Wooden, Glass, Ceramic, Plastic or Metal.

Thank you.