Adjusting Timing on Sewing Machine

Can someone tell me how to adjust the timing of a Singer sewing machine. It keeps breaking needles. I took it to a repair shop and they told me the timing was off and it would cost $65.00 to clean and adjust it. I can't afford to have the shop do it so I'd like to do it myself.

By Inspector69 from San Jose, CA

Answers:

Adjusting Timing on Sewing Machine

Get your book out and read how to adjust the tension. Try it on scrap fabric until you get it right. I know different weights of fabric require you to change the tension. The top tension is the one you should be concerned about, the bobbin tension is one they say not to mess with. The needles, type of thread you use and the fabric are all things that need to be taken into account for the adjustment. The amount of money they are quoting you for cleaning and adjustment is not unreasonable. Maybe that's what the machine needs is a good cleaning. All according to how much you use the machine. Good luck with it! (10/17/2009)

By LITTLE SUZY

Adjusting Timing on Sewing Machine

The most common reason a needle keeps breaking is because the needle is inserted backwards or is threaded wrong! If the needle is in correctly then look at the "last" thread guide, if it is on the right side of the needle then thread the needle from right to left, if it's on the left then reverse it.

If the guide is in front then thread the needle from front to back. I hope the solution is this simple! The same solution works for thread breaking all the time.

Also, check all your settings, if one of the other settings is turned on even a little bit it may also cause this problem. Please write back and let us know if any of this works for you.

Also, does the needle break only when sewing through certain fabrics or even if you are just turning the wheel on the machine? (10/17/2009)

By wolfbytez

Adjusting Timing on Sewing Machine

Timing on a sewing machine is something you cannot do at home. For a stopgap until you can afford to take it to the shop, drop the needle a bit in the needle clamp and hand walk the machine for a few stitches to see if it clears the bobbin area and makes a stitch. Is this clear? Just drop it a fraction. So in essence you are regulating the timing with the needle position. This is only a temporary fix and may not work, but it's worth a try. I was given a Singer over a weekend when the shop was closed, the timing was off and I clamped the needle a little lower than normal and it sewed fine.

Susan in Omaha (10/21/2009)

By Susan

Adjusting Timing on Sewing Machine
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Repair person sewing on a machine.
Adjusting the Tension on Your Sewing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine
Adjusting the Timing on Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄