Adjusting the Timing on Sewing Machine

How do I fix the timing on a Singer 6100 sewing machine?

Answers

Best Answer

You need to make sure the needle and shuttle hook are in the right positions. Here is an excellent source: www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Sewing-Machine-Timing

Answer this Question

8 More Questions

I have a Singer Tradition machine and the shuttle race timing is off to the point that it breaks the needle when the needle tries to go back up. Is there any way to adjust the shuttle?

I don't have a repair shop near me so my only other choice is a completely new machine and I don't want to do that. Any advice is very appreciated.

Answers

WikiHow has an informative article with pictures. You need to adjust the alignment of the needle and the shuttle hook. You will also need your owner's manual to see the recommended needle height and the distance between the needle and shuttle hook.

You have to unplug your machine, take out the screws on the side of the machine to expose the needle shaft, take lit the bobbin case, and make an adjustment. This excellent article with pictures shows you how: sciencing.com/adjust-hook-timing-sewing-machines...

Answer this Question

I was using my machine, a Singer Model 348, and I started breaking needles. I cleaned out under the side plate and bobbin.

It is still breaking needles. I can see that the timing is off. Is there any way I can fix this problem?

Answers

Your tension is off. Try turning it to the - as it sounds like it is too tight. (If that doesn't work, then go to the +)

Answer this Question

I have a Brother CS-6000i computer sewing machine and it won't feed the bobbin thread up for the needle to catch it. I am thinking that it's out of time. Can I repair it at home or does it need to be serviced? Do you or anyone else know how to do it so I can try and do it myself? It may be costly to take in to get repaired.

By Shelia S. from WI

Answers

If you have the manual it may tell you what to do. If you don't have a manual you can try www.retrevo.com / www.manualsonline.com or www.manualowl.com/index.php

To set the timing on any sewing machine you will need the service manual for that specific machine, not the operator manual that came with the machine. Be warned too that the service manuals are very expensive because they feature a complete tear down and rebuild instruction, and specialised parts lists. Service manuals for computerised machines can run as much as $700USD (ask me how I know, lol!).

Resetting timing on a computerised sewing machine is a job for a skilled (usually factory trained) technician. It shouldn't cost you more than $50-80USD to have done and makes all the difference in machine performance. The tech will not only reset the timing (if that's really what is wrong) but will (should) also inspect the machine for other problems, and also provide cleaning-servicing (oiling, etc) as part of the process.

Additionally, your problem may not be timing at all-it could be that you're using the wrong size or type of bobbin...a metal bobbin in a machine that should only have a plastic one can cause all kinds of problems with a machine; a piece of fluff that you can't see to remove under the plate (because you don't have the specialised tools a tech has) could also be causing your problem.

Wrong thread, broken tension springs, a broken bobbin gear...only a trained, knowledgeable tech can tell you for sure what is causing your problem on one of these modern sewing machines. And he/she will be able to put your machine back together after the repair so that the machine is usable, too-a home repair in unexperienced hands is the machine killer, frankly!

I teach sewing here in the UK on both 'antique-vintage' machines, and 'modern computerised' machines. I can fix anything made before the late 90s (if I can find the parts) but I won't even try on a computerised machine because those machines are so specialised that ONLY a trained tech can be expected not to 'trash' the machine in the process of trying to fix it.

Answer this Question

How do I fix the timing on my sewing machine? It's a Brother PE150. Sorry I don't have a photo.

By M. Hostetler

Answers

How do you know it is the timing? If it is, you are best to leave that to a professional.

Sounds like someone turned the handwheel AWAY from the operator one time too many-the usual cause of throwing a sewing machine off timing.

Go to the Brother website and see if you can download timing instructions. This actually is a simple job but you need information specific to your model.

Since you are able to diagnose that it is a timing problem, you are probably handy enough to do all the repairs on your sewing machine, and it might well be worth your time and money to buy the service manual for your machine model series.

I sew exclusively with vintage Singers (pre-80s) and am learning how to do all my own work but timing my vintage 66K and 99K (built in 1933 and 1917 respectively) uses a completely different method than the methods needed for the 1962 model 449, the 1973 model 513, and the 1979 model 6103-every single one times differently. Open up the top of the different models, and you'll see each one (except the 66 and 99, which are identical) has a different configuration!

Good on you for being interested in sewing machine repair. My husband and I are getting a reputation for being able to fix machines and people are even offering us money for the work! Yes, the computerised machines are beyond us, but since I only use vintage machines it isn't a problem.

If your Brother model is computerised, I especially recommend getting the service manual. You still should be able to do the work, you may need to download software from the manufacturer.

Good luck, and I hope your machine is stitching again soon!

Answer this Question

How do you time a Memory Craft 3000 sewing machine?

By Betty M

Answers

Try this site for tutorials on timing all brands of sewing machines (and lots of other great maintenance/repair tutes as well):

www.sewitworks.com/.../

Answer this Question

How do I adjust the needle and hook timing for a Brother LT-B838?

By Deep from Vallejo, CA

Answers

If it truly is the timing on your machine that is the problem, you are better to leave it with a professional.

Answer this Question

Can someone tell me how to adjust the timing of a Singer sewing machine. It keeps breaking needles..

How do you set the timing on a Brother sewing machine?

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesFebruary 12, 2015
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Adjusting-the-Timing-on-Sewing-Machine.html