Setting the Timing on a Sewing Machine

I have a Brother CS-6000i computer sewing machine and it won't feed the bobbin thread up for the needle to catch it. I am thinking that it's out of time. Can I repair it at home or does it need to be serviced? Do you or anyone else know how to do it so I can try and do it myself? It may be costly to take in to get repaired.

By Shelia S. from WI

If you have the manual it may tell you what to do. If you don't have a manual you can try www.retrevo.com / www.manualsonline.com or www.manualowl.com/index.php

To set the timing on any sewing machine you will need the service manual for that specific machine, not the operator manual that came with the machine. Be warned too that the service manuals are very expensive because they feature a complete tear down and rebuild instruction, and specialised parts lists. Service manuals for computerised machines can run as much as $700USD (ask me how I know, lol!).

Resetting timing on a computerised sewing machine is a job for a skilled (usually factory trained) technician. It shouldn't cost you more than $50-80USD to have done and makes all the difference in machine performance. The tech will not only reset the timing (if that's really what is wrong) but will (should) also inspect the machine for other problems, and also provide cleaning-servicing (oiling, etc) as part of the process.

Additionally, your problem may not be timing at all-it could be that you're using the wrong size or type of bobbin...a metal bobbin in a machine that should only have a plastic one can cause all kinds of problems with a machine; a piece of fluff that you can't see to remove under the plate (because you don't have the specialised tools a tech has) could also be causing your problem.

Wrong thread, broken tension springs, a broken bobbin gear...only a trained, knowledgeable tech can tell you for sure what is causing your problem on one of these modern sewing machines. And he/she will be able to put your machine back together after the repair so that the machine is usable, too-a home repair in unexperienced hands is the machine killer, frankly!

I teach sewing here in the UK on both 'antique-vintage' machines, and 'modern computerised' machines. I can fix anything made before the late 90s (if I can find the parts) but I won't even try on a computerised machine because those machines are so specialised that ONLY a trained tech can be expected not to 'trash' the machine in the process of trying to fix it.