Setting Up Your Sewing Area

Category Sewing
Whether you have a dedicated sewing room or a nook in another room, setting up your work area is an important step. This is a guide about setting up your sewing area.

When sewing bags and crazy quilt purses, I am sitting a lot of the time. I have had 2 back surgeries, and can't stand for long periods of time, so what I did was set up my ironing board at a right angle to my sewing machine and lowered it to a comfortable height. I use a task chair on rollers, so I can just swing around when I need to iron. It's great.

Not only that, but my husband hung a fluorescent light over my ironing board to make it easier for me to see. He put a cord on it that has a switch on the cord. That makes it so much easier for me to turn it on or off.

By Judy Harris

I never would have thought of this.
I also suffer continuous back pain from an auto accident and the loss of one leg.
Thanks for this tip.

I have done almost the exact same thing in my sewing room but have a total of three fluorescent lights hanging above my work. Everything plugs into two power strips so that when I turn them off, EVERYTHING is off and I don't have to worry about leaving the iron on all day.

I also have a small TV and a CD player for entertainment while I sew.