Advice On Painting Kitchen With Green Countertops

I have oak cabinets with a honey finish, tan color tile, hunter green counter tops with ultra silver steel appliances. What color should I paint the walls? Any help would be appreciated. The walls are yellow now and they are driving me nuts.

I totally agree with the adobe color previously suggested. In addition, it will go really well with the color of your cabinets. (02/13/2008)

By Sharon

Something in the peachy/terracotta family would go well. (02/13/2008)

By perfume and powder

Dear Lance: I'd use a light-med silver/sage green or a med-golden-beige/tan. Basically, you'll want to match the "Honey Finished" oak cabinets, except, go several shades lighter or several shades darker than the cabinets. The basic rule of thumb is to go lighter if your room is smaller & darker if your room is larger. Or go for a silvery/sage green. You can use a light to med shade.

But, be careful, sage can look many different colors, depending on the time of day & the angle of the wall, so try a test area first & look at it through-out the day. You can also take your color choice form the tan colored tiles, but maybe go a bit lighter or darker.

* But: Do yourself a favor, think about your climate! Use a silvery/sage green if you live in a warmer climate (like Southern Calif., FL., Texas or Arizona), because the silvery-sage will be "cooling". If you live in a cooler climate or a place with very little sun (like Seattle), go with the golden-tan shade (to warm & brighten the place up).

One more thing you'll have to keep in mind is this: Can you see in to the kitchen from another room? If so, you'll need to keep the other rooms' color scheme in mind.

You can also bring in a third color (or what I'd call a "second accent" color) of say for example: golden brown, a terra-cotta like color (brick) or black (or dark charcoal gray). This would be done, by using the 3rd accent in 3 - 4 different places spread around the kitchen. Like for example, on chair covers, or stools, picture frame(s), a vase, a utensil holder, cabinet knobs, place mats etc, etc. For a much bolder look, you might be able to get by with the "complement" colors (to your green) of red, burgundy, or tomato. But as I said earlier, it's all about the room(s) that are next to this one. The question you'll have to ask yourself: Can I see into this room from the one next to it. That will help decide your color choice for you.

Don't forget to use an eggshell or better yet a semi-gloss finish on kitchen walls so they can be washed.

In my business, I see a lot of kitchens, because I paint wall murals & tiles for installation. I need to go into peoples homes for exact measurements & consultations. I not only see a lot of beautiful kitchens & baths, but because I'm an artist I also consult on color choices for clients quite often. Feel free to contact me with any questions, here on ThriftyFun.

PS. Most times, it looks really nice to also paint the ceiling the same shade as the walls. You don't have to paint the ceiling a shade of white! You can also use the exact same color as the walls on the ceilings! (This looks great!) Or, If the room is really small, you can go with the same color, but several shades lighter on the ceiling. But, beware of using too light a shade of golden/tan, because the ceiling will look like it's nicotine stained! (I made this mistake once!) Yikes! <*grin*> Better go bright white, than a light dingy, nicotine golden-tan! Either way, have fun No worries, it's only paint! You can always re-do it. But, I suspect, you'll probably love it the first time!

Here's my favorite painting sites:
How to Paint Just About Anything:

Decorative Painting Techniques:
Choosing the Right Interior Paint:

Home tips: Paint Techniques, Wallpaper & Faux Finishes:
Debbie Travis' painted house:

How to paint just about anything:
Choosing the right interior paint:

Virtual painting (seeing your room on your computer before you paint):
Brown bag technique for walls:

Doing a cracked paint finish:
For more,questions, help and ideas: ttp://
DIY forum:
DIY chat room:

By Cyinda

Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Green Countertops
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Nice Countertops
Protecting Your Countertops
Tile Countertops
Installing Tile Countertops