Bubbles When Sealing Countertops

Updating your vintage laminate countertops can be done by painting and sealing. One issue that homeowners may experience when working on this project is bubbles developing in the sealant. This page offers advice for what to do if you have bubbles form when sealing countertops.

I've painted my Formica counter tops and after the sealant was dried I noticed it still had bubbles. How can I remove the bubbles? Do I sand and stain again? Advice would be appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

You can use a torch gun to remove some bubbles.

Best Answer

when you get bubbles like that you have to lightly sand them out then paint again,keep doing this til it has no more bubbles

Best Answer

I would sand with a fine grain sandpaper or fine steel wool and reapply the sealant. Stay with it as it dries to prevent it from doing it again. You should not need to restain it.

I have read all of the post on painting countertops over the past few weeks and thank you for all the wonderful advice and pictures. I got the courage and started on mine a few days ago I sanded, primed, painted with Rustoleum granite spray and coated with famowood glaze coat.

The problem I have is there are a few bumps that are about the size of a pin hole that I would like to get out, I have read that I can wet sand and apply a second coat of glaze. My question is do I need to wait the 72 hours till it is cured to sand and apply another coat?

Also, do I need to sand and 2nd coat all of the counters or only the spaces where the small bumps are? Thanks in advance.

By Ricki from MS

Answers

Best Answer

Ricki, whatever you do, DO NOT only cover the problem areas with the glaze coat! Not sure if your bumps are due to bubbles or the texture of the spray paint, but for bubbles you need to sand the tops off. You will then have to pour another full thick coat, and be sure to use a torch.

My husband had to torch ours for a full 1/2 hour. I had horrible bubbles with my first pour. With second pour, due to the torching, we now have a beautiful, smooth as glass finish. If your bumps are due to the texture, I still would sand with 600 grit to ensure your second coat is smooth.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceNovember 4, 2019
🍂
🎄