AdviceHome Improvement

Removing Bubbles from Sealant on Painted Countertops

I've painted my Formica counter tops and after the sealant was dried I noticed it still had bubbles. How can I remove the bubbles? Do I sand and stain again? Advice would be appreciated.

You can use a torch gun to remove some bubbles.

when you get bubbles like that you have to lightly sand them out then paint again,keep doing this til it has no more bubbles

I have never heard of a way to remove this type of bubbles other than sanding the tops off and resealing (you really need a torch for this).

I would sand with a fine grain sandpaper or fine steel wool and reapply the sealant. Stay with it as it dries to prevent it from doing it again. You should not need to restain it.

We had the same problem. We used a fine grit sand paper and resealed it.

Make sure there is no wind or a fan on while the surface is drying because that causes bubbles.

Anonymous

Thanks for advise. I did sand and restrain and used a blow dryer it helped but still has some bubbles.
Now Ive developed another problem for some reason after I stained it it looks as if I missed some areas which is weird because I a straight line throughout. So now I debating whether I should sand again and restrain again

you can also poke the bubbles with a pin and rub over it with sandpaper or scouring pad