African Violet has Long Slender Two Toned Leaves

I have five African violet plants. Only the two with white flowers had lower leaves that were long and slender, mostly light yellow in the center with a thin edging of dark green, while their newer growth has come in with more normal looking rounded dark green leaves.

I recently snipped off the yellowy leaves (there were quite a few) and am now wondering if I did the right thing. All of my violet plants sit on a north window sill and may get only a few minutes of sunlight reflected off the building next door each day.

The three other plants get exactly the same treatment and their leaf growth is lush and dark green. I water them all when the soil feels dry and fertilize lightly maybe every other watering. Has anyone else experienced this? Was it a mistake to cut off those yellow leaves (they seemed healthy, other than their shape and two toned coloring)?

By BEK from Chicago, IL

Do you water them from the bottom only? Maybe its from water being on the leaves if you pour water on the top, a nice little older woman told me in a nice tone, you water them from the bottom only and I have finally after much and many african violets got one to live.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJune 19, 2011
Simple Ab Workouts
Simple Ab Workouts
African Daisy Photo
Growing African Daisies
Doing Yoga During Pregnancy, A woman doing yoga during pregnancy.
Doing Yoga During Pregnancy
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves