Alternatives to Makeup Primer

Category Tips
Woman applying foundation to skin with a make-up sponge
Special makeup primers help your makeup to stay fresh looking for hours, but they can be expensive. This is a guide about alternatives to makeup primer.

Women, you all know how expensive the primers that you put on prior to makeup application to help makeup "stick" better are. The upscale primers can be bought for about $60. Even the cheaper ones will go for $15. I've found that you can use Monistat chafing relief - yes, Monistat! You can get it at Walmart for $6 and it's a huge tube. Just apply before you put on makeup, and it will absorb any oil throughout the day and fill in those little pesky wrinkles so makeup doesn't settle in and make you look old. It's better than any primer I've bought at a department store. Just look in the female personal hygiene aisle. Do not mistakenly get Monistat cream for infections, the product you need is Monistat chafing gel. Let me know how you like it!

By amydawn1977 from Fort Smith, AR

Top Comment

I buy this at Walmart for about $3/tube, it lasts for months and makes my makeup last all day and it even becomes waterproof so my oily skin and tendency to sweat doesn't bother it at all. Its primary Active Ingredient: Dimethicone 1.2%. My tube of makeup has lasted over twice as long also so at about $10-$15/tube it makes a big difference in my budget. Wish I'd found out a long time ago!

Nivea Post Shave Balm works perfectly as a makeup primer. Use it as you would a regular primer. Pour a pea-sized amount in your hand and evenly pat onto your face. Let dry and apply your makeup normally. Your makeup will last all day long! A makeup artist friend of mine tipped me on this so I trusted her. Sure enough, it works like a charm. It's a fraction of the price of usual primers and the bottle lasts you at least the entire year.