Aquilegia (Columbine)

Vote for this contest contender!

Photo Description
I have always admired this flower, but for some reason, I have never grown it. There's something about its name I find very pleasant, Aquilegia. I like the way it rolls off the tongue. I even like its common name 'columbine'. And the lesser used common names 'Granny's Bonnet' and 'Granny's Nightcap' will do in a rush.

I learned from Wikipedia that "The common name 'columbine' comes from the Latin for "dove", due to the resemblance of the inverted flower to five doves clustered together". I find that analogy very special.

Aquilegia is a long lived perennial in the buttercup family 'Ranunculaceae'. It is quite hardy and almost care free. I like that, too. Is there anything I don't like about this flower? Well, not the flower, itself.

I bought this at markdown. It was not in bloom and it was the last one they had. I am not a red person. I prefer cooler shades. Aquilegia comes in some beautiful self and bi tone cool shades. Now that I am initiated, I will add more colors to this collection I've started.

Even yellow? Yes, even yellow!

Yellow!! Now you're talking!

I'm not familiar with this flower but if it comes in yellow then I might get interested.

Names and history of flowers are just as interesting as any old history book - well - more so to me..

This one sounds like it has been around a long time and must have been a "Granny" favorite.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Columbines are my most favorite flower to grow. it's a hardy plant, doesn't complain about conditions much and gives you a more than fair share of beauty. It comes pretty much in all colors and combinations. The one you have pictured is probably the most common but there are so many - i love my purple ones. i hope you fall in love with them.

Reply Like this photo? Yes