Baked Beans

• 1 can pork and beans
  • 1 Tbsp. Bacos or bacon (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • Ad
  • 2 drops Liquid Smoke
  • 2 Tbsp. ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp. dried onion or 2 slices fresh onion

Directions

Mix; put in a covered casserole. Bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours. Uncover and bake another hour.

By Robin

Answers:

Baked Beans

I was so very pleased to see that there was a number of baked bean recipes..that is until I clicked on and found only "doctored-up" canned beans. I`d like very much to get recipes for real "baked beans" using raw beans that are soaked then other ingredients added, then baked. Thanks (07/16/2005)

By Mairmie

Baked Beans

I also was hoping for recipes from scratch. Or even plain cooked canned beans to which you add your own tomato sauce, bacon, and brown sugar (or whatever). I like the canned pork-n-beans fine except for the pork and the sugar. (07/17/2005)

By Debbie

Baked Beans

Go to FoodTV.com - click the links for the recipes on the show "Good Eats" - Alton Brown has a recipe called "The Once and Future Beans" - baked beans, from scratch, cooked in the oven in a cast-iron Dutch oven - they are TO DIE FOR! They can be made in a crockpot, too (I would suggest reducing the liquid a bit or they are a little watery).

Enjoy! (07/20/2005)

By GlitterFairy

Boston Baked Beans

Here's a recipe for baked beans from scratch. This was given to me by a man from Boston after he invited us for supper and served them. I believe they would be good as a crockpot meal, also.

Serves 6.

• 1 pound navy or pea beans
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Discard any discolored beans. In a large bowl, combine the beans with plenty of cold water and soak overnight for 6 to 8 hours.

Drain the beans. In a large pot, combine the beans and enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to simmer, and cook for 45 minutes or until they are just tender (it may take longer if the beans are old or the soaking time was short). Drain the beans and set aside the cooking liquid.

Set the oven at 325 degrees F. In a bean pot or deep casserole with a lid, combine the beans, onion, mustard, dark and light brown sugars, molasses, and salt. Add enough of the cooking liquid to just cover the beans. Stir to blend them.

Bring the liquid to a boil on top of the stove, then transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours, checking every 30 minutes to make sure the beans don't dry. Add more cooking liquid if necessary.

P>When the beans are tender, uncover the pot and cook for 20 to 30 minutes more to make a slightly crusty top.
(02/23/2007)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Baked beans in a white bowl.
Homemade Baked Beans Recipes
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Red Crock Pot
Slow Cooker "Baked" Beans
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎉
🎄